lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart News and Events > Events and Places to ride
Events and Places to ride Please add your events to this forum so people know where the action is!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Jekyll Island questions...

We are taking a trip to Jekyll Island next year and I have questions for those that have been. Sounds like there is no registrations needed for carts and only required to have safety equipment like full lights with blinkers, seat belts, a reflector, etc...I am a blinker kit away so not a big deal.

My questions are:
1. Is the entire island open to drive carts?

2. Are the hotels cart friendly? Can I charge there? (We are not taking the camper for this trip)

3. Are the police hard on tourists? If a passenger has a cocktail in a Yeti am I gonna get pulled over and checked?

Would love to hear about anyone's experiences there. We are making a quick trip to meet up with friends that are camping but will most likely stay in a hotel south of the campground and would still like to take the cart. Thanks!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Jekyll Island questions...

Well with Covid and all this stuff going around we finally did this trip last week and I will provide a bit of an update if anyone is planning on going over there. If you don't want to read much I would recommend going, haha.

First off my trip unfortunately got cut short a day wanting to get home before Isaias and that was going to be our run around and explore the island day. We were only there two nights and already had tickets to take kids to water park. The way that storm died out and stayed off the coast we should have stayed!

Anyway, the whole island is open for carts as everywhere was 25-35 mph roads and the traffic was not crazy so when we did leave the campground it was nice. If you stay at the campground its about 6-7 miles to the little town center and maybe another mile or two to the farthest tip of the island.

I cant answer if the hotels were golf cart friendly because we ended up taking our camper and staying at the campground on the north side of the island. I was looking to know if you would be able to charge a cart if we stayed at a hotel and even though I am not positive I would guess that you could as there were a handful of rentals we saw in parking lots at hotels. Only looked like one cart rental place there and our neighbor called and it was $125 a day to rent a cart, that's worse than Disney prices!

We were concerned about not having blinkers on our cart, we had all other safety equipment, and I assumed a hand signal would have been fine but no LEO's ever stopped us but I don't think we saw any while on cart. There are a few there patrolling the island and I assume unless you are acting like an idiot you wouldn't get messed with. Talked with one officer there and he was pretty laid back.

Overall the campground and island were a nice stay for as short as we were there. It was hotter than heck which is expected for the fist week of August and if your gonna camp there is no pool which would have been real nice, especially if you have a Pop-Up (which we do). Showers and restrooms were on par for what you expect at a state park. Right across the street you have about a mile cruise to a nice fishing pier and beach area which was nice and has a great view of the sunsets. Kids loved the water park on the island which was priced well and had plenty to do for a day, note that its only open during summer. There are a handful of historic sites, homes, museums, and other interesting buildings that we didn't get to check out due to leaving early.

My biggest tip if you camp out there is to bring groceries with you as there is only one market on the island and it didn't have a whole lot of choices and the prices were high even for the location. For instance your only choices for steak were ribeye's and filet's (I'm ok with that) but I doubt the ribeye's were even USDA choice, due to the lack of marbling and no USDA label, and the price was about $20/lb and then add in some ground beef and hot dogs that was about the extent of you meat selection. Produce selection was pretty slim too. It did have a decent deli meat selection and a little bar where you could get a beer while you were there. With our pop up its typically easier to get groceries at your location and if you do that just make sure to swing through Brunswick on the way in to grab them, its about 30 minutes away after you get to island.

All in all it was a good trip and I imagine we will make it back one day.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Never been to Jekyll Island but I've seen videos and would like too! Everything I saw (in the video) looked pretty inviting for a family vacation. We also try to take our food when camping. Sometimes it's a little difficult depending on how long the travel will take. Usually when we head to Gatlinburg, which is about 4 hours for us pulling the camping, we ice down our fridge in the camper after turning it off. I usually put two or three frozen poweraid bottles in there. Works good. Also have a little stand up fridge. They are pretty well insulated so if they are good and cool before you leave, throwing in a couple frozen bottles will keep them cool for quite a while.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I recommend it and it was very family friendly. I would like to go back in the fall when it cools off with the only down side off the water park would be closed and I’d have to hear some complaints from the kids!

I’m trying to talk the wife into upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck so we can upgrade from a pop up and still take the cart with us. One of the main reasons would be to take food with us easier. With a family of four it’s not worth the hassle to open up camper, cool off that tiny fridge, and fit a days worth of food in it! If we do a 4+ day trip I have a dorm fridge we load up and strap to the back of the cart which works well but also not worth the hassle for a 2-3 weekend get away.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

You need one of the smaller toyhaulers. They can be towed with a 1/2 ton no problem. The newer 1/2 tons can pull quite a bit. But, i'd still stay below 7000 lbs or so with any newer 1/2 ton that's rated for 10,000 lbs. I have an 05 GMC 1/2 ton rated at 8500 lbs. I pulled around 5000 lbs or so with it. Pulls fine but the old 4 speed transmission lets you know when there is a hill. Newer trucks have a little more power and more gears which really helps when pulling.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have been looking at hybrids too, if I could get a hybrid toy hauler it would be great but not sure if that exists. The problem with the F150 is the second you put the cart in the bed and family on board your right at the GVWR. I think the CGVW is around 13500 and the truck with family is about 6000# so that puts us around 7000# to pull....take 1200-1300# out for the cart and another 500# of gear and your right at a 5000# camper so that is probably an option.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Thanks for sharing your story. I have stayed there and it is a beautiful place. Did not bring a cart but now I know I can.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart News and Events > Events and Places to ride