lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Rocksride
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Acceleration or clutch problem

New to world of carts and looking for direction. When I press my accelerator my cart moves immediately under the power of the generator/starter. I watched the rear clutch through acceleration and deceleration and it appears as though it is not closing completly. I rolled it by hand and it closed a bit more. Every other gas cart I have driven allows the motor to develop rpms before the drive engages. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Willing to learn--just need a little direction. Bought to use hunting in area that has some mud holes, looking for the right set up to avoid getting stuck.

A second question concerns using the front axle receiver plate for a winch mount. Is there any additional support needed? Is a Harbor Freight winch sufficient or could someone point me in the right direction as to size and make?

2005 EZGO ST350 w/ Robin EH352

Thanks in advance.
Rocksride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Rocksride
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Acceleration or clutch problem

Things I've done so far -- 23x10.5x12 tires and wheels, new front axle (original twisted) and 1" block between spring and frame on front end for tire clearance.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Kinda sounds like the belt is to short or maybe the drive clutch is sticking.
The factory winch for the ST350 mounts to the front axle receiver plate nothing else is needed. The Harbor Freight 2000lb winch is fine in my opinion, The factory ezgo one is also 2000lb
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Rocksride
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the winch info. Can I get a little guidance as to how to check the clutch and the best/ easiest way to remove the belt. I think I read where the ST 350 already has the 28 degree clutch. Ruredy, your buggy looks a lot like mine -- any suggestions on running in the mud. From what I've read it sounds like just lining my buggy out is all I need to do -- not looking for mud, just want to avoid getting stuck if I end up in it. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksride View Post
Thanks for the winch info. Can I get a little guidance as to how to check the clutch and the best/ easiest way to remove the belt. I think I read where the ST 350 already has the 28 degree clutch. Ruredy, your buggy looks a lot like mine -- any suggestions on running in the mud. From what I've read it sounds like just lining my buggy out is all I need to do -- not looking for mud, just want to avoid getting stuck if I end up in it. Thanks for the response.
should be able to roll the belt off the driven clutch, kinda hard to tell whats wrong with the clutch system. Sometimes if they sit for awhile the drive clutch will start sticking. pics of it may help. first off, does it do this all the time?
My cart is a ST480, kinda like a big brother to yours, i'm not sure anyone likes being stuck in the mud but a few around here seem boarder line. When I got the 480 stuck it was shortly after that it got new tires and a winch. it's never even been close to being stuck again with the mudbug tires.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Ruredy, I put the shorter belt on my workhorse, I dont mind running on the starter a little as my garage is kinda tight. I think the primary clutch (engine) is sticking a little, is this the shorter belt or is there somewhere I need to lubricate it?
Also, the engine revs way up on take off, then I have to wait for the clutches to catch up, I know there is a break-in period for the new, shorter belt, is this what it should do?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

yeah sns, give it some time to break in, (a couple days of hard running should do it )those issues will go away. It'll still rev up kinda high when taking off though, that's just the gearing difference between belts.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
yeah sns, give it some time to break in, (a couple days of hard running should do it )those issues will go away. It'll still rev up kinda high when taking off though, that's just the gearing difference between belts.
Thanks Jon
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Rocksride
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
Kinda sounds like the belt is to short or maybe the drive clutch is sticking.
The factory winch for the ST350 mounts to the front axle receiver plate nothing else is needed. The Harbor Freight 2000lb winch is fine in my opinion, The factory ezgo one is also 2000lb
Jon here are some photos and yes it does this all of the time. The belt appears to be too tight to just roll it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0222.jpg (84.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0226.jpg (55.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0227.jpg (53.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

your drive clutch is stuck and not opening all the way
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO