lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Do people want programming cables made for them?

I've received a few PMs asking about making a programming cable for them and wanted to gauge the interest to see if there were enough people for me to actually make a bunch and list them on Amazon so people could just buy them.

To be clear on the cost if you decide you want a cable:
  • CANUSB - $120 - You have to buy this from canusb.com, I don't make it.
  • RS232 to molex (ICON golf cart) cable, I could make this and it would cost $20-25. That would leave me a $6-10 "profit" for beer and I'd just throw these on Amazon.

So I can make the cheap, $20'ish part, but you would still need to buy the expensive part. I would not bundle the two together because I'd just be buying a ton of those expensive parts and then some people would just buy, program, and return them to Amazon lol.

I would essentially be saving people the effort of buying the $42 in weird tools, extra crimp ends, extra molex, crimping stuff, wire, etc and that's it.

Here's how to make your own: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171601
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
PSU Joe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Do people want programming cables made for them?

Or if anyone happens to be vacationing in Cape May NJ I'd be happy to compensate someone for programming my cart :) Been reading the other programming thread and I would probably ruin the cart somehow and then have to deal with an angry wife. Nope!
PSU Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Miamidad
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Atrain: Sure, id buy one, to do exactly that save the time and tool buying. let me know.
Miamidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #4
nickmo
Not Yet Wild

I'm in!
nickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:03 AM   #5
smwolf
Not Yet Wild

Yes I would definitely buy a cable
smwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Undisclosed
Not Yet Wild

Count me in
Undisclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I've received a few PMs asking about making a programming cable for them and wanted to gauge the interest to see if there were enough people for me to actually make a bunch and list them on Amazon so people could just buy them.

To be clear on the cost if you decide you want a cable:
  • CANUSB - $120 - You have to buy this from canusb.com, I don't make it.
  • RS232 to molex (ICON golf cart) cable, I could make this and it would cost $20-25. That would leave me a $6-10 "profit" for beer and I'd just throw these on Amazon.

So I can make the cheap, $20'ish part, but you would still need to buy the expensive part. I would not bundle the two together because I'd just be buying a ton of those expensive parts and then some people would just buy, program, and return them to Amazon lol.

I would essentially be saving people the effort of buying the $42 in weird tools, extra crimp ends, extra molex, crimping stuff, wire, etc and that's it.

Here's how to make your own: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171601
I'm not endorsed by ATrain whatsoever (haha) but I made my own cable using a pair on needle nose pliers and it was a PITA. That molex tool isn't absolutely needed but would certainly make quick work of making the cable. I went through at least 8 connectors before I got it right. So....I would suggest having him do it unless you are in a huge hurry.

Just my two cents worth...
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
ATrain
Gone Wild

I bought enough to make 30 cables. Parts should be in this week and I'm going to mail them all to FBA (fulfillment by Amazon) and post a link on the forum. So you'll just be able to order it on Amazon (easy).

I work in tech and have a personal business interest in learning more from a hands on end to end experience listing on there, and at the same time I'm sure everyone who wants a cable will be happy just ordering it on Amazon and not screwing with messaging me, so win-win all around.

And if I somehow manage to screw a cable up, you can just return it to Amazon and I'll learn how that works. I'll be testing the cables though so I don't anticipate that.

I'll even post every single cost/profit so people can learn too. The goal is to make $15 "profit" for my time per cable so I can get a 6-pack of IPAs. I also posted the how-to if you'd prefer that lol.

These cables will probably be a little better quality than the one I made in the video though.

Give me a week'ish.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
TheWIZZ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I bought enough to make 30 cables.

Give me a week'ish.
I'd buy one as well ATrain. New to this site and new to buggies. Just got my 2021 ICON i40L delivered yesterday. Goes 28MPH on flat road w/2 passengers. Not bad, but after finding this site, I know it can do better.
TheWIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
ATrain
Gone Wild

Just an update. The cables are all (30) made and tested, I'm just working on getting them to Amazon. They have strain reliefs (important) on the RS232 side, but grommets were a pain to source. The strain relief prevents the wires from pulling out of the RS232 port and the grommet is mainly for friction and preventing chemicals/dust from getting in. This is such low tech and the wires are already protected with a thick plastic jacket, so it should be good. These are no Apple cables but still pretty good quality. Better than the one my ICON dealer had and the one I made for myself on camera.

They all started at 40", but I'm listing as 3' because of minor variances between them. It's a fun little learning experience.

I've got big weekend plans, but next week is when I plan to have them all shipped off to Amazon and listed. Took longer than I thought w/my schedule.

I even had a professional product shot made for a golf cart cable lmfao:

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon