lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart "locked up" at full speed

Hi all...was reading a post on an icon Facebook forum where the gentleman stated he was going full speed and all of the brakes locked up on him. He says he could not get the back end to roll and the magnetic brakes would not budge. I read all the responses and someone said that our carts have a faulty run switch.

So...is this true? If so, should we replace them before this happens? And if so, where do we get a good one and how do we replace it??

**** I hate finding stuff to make me worry!
Drgordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart "locked up" at full speed

Without reading the FB post I don't know for sure but I'm betting the man had a lithium battery pack installed and the battery management system (BMS) shutdown. This causes the power to be cut from the cart and when power is cut on an ICON, the electromagnetic brake (EMB) closes. Others have reported this happening with a lithium pack installed. This is one reason I'm waiting for someone to come up with a buildable solution before I convert mine to lithium. If you are still using FLA or AGM batteries, I can't see this being a problem.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

He says he does not have lithium batteries...
Drgordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
anpgator
Getting Wild

I’ve replaced 6 run/tow switches on LVTong carts in the past 2 months in my area (predominantly the Aetric variety, however I highly doubt that is a part that icon changed from LVT). 3 of them claim it just broke while they were driving. And by broke I mean the toggle portion was just dangling and you could not select either of the positions.

A simple double pole double throw switch from the hardware store is all you need.
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
doug527
Not Yet Wild

Having a new Yamaha Electric cart since December been envious of how other carts, Icon, Evolution, and others do 25 to 30 mph off the lot. But I read about things like this I don't so much. I was told the carts that have the braking system you are speaking have will engage if batter ever gets too low and what needs to be done to even tow it. Can't imagine having grandkids in the cart and it suddenly stops like that. The trojan AGM batteries work great so far..
doug527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:07 AM   #6
anpgator
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug527 View Post
Having a new Yamaha Electric cart since December been envious of how other carts, Icon, Evolution, and others do 25 to 30 mph off the lot. But I read about things like this I don't so much. I was told the carts that have the braking system you are speaking have will engage if batter ever gets too low and what needs to be done to even tow it. Can't imagine having grandkids in the cart and it suddenly stops like that. The trojan AGM batteries work great so far..
Yamaha is a great machine.

In a garage kept scenario where the cart is driven only a few times a week the Icon/LVTong carts are a better bargain but I do not suspect they’ll have the longevity the big 3 bring to the table. In a coastal environment particularly, I can already say with 100% certainty the Chinese carts will not last 10 years. I’ve seen 3 year old icons just about to fall apart underneath. Same goes for Star sirius or Capella. Evolution is pure junk.

I still see hundreds if not thousands of 15+ year old club car, Yamaha and EZGOs running strong in my area which has to be one of the largest cart communities in America (per capita).
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
mtollin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
Yamaha is a great machine.

In a garage kept scenario where the cart is driven only a few times a week the Icon/LVTong carts are a better bargain but I do not suspect they’ll have the longevity the big 3 bring to the table. In a coastal environment particularly, I can already say with 100% certainty the Chinese carts will not last 10 years. I’ve seen 3 year old icons just about to fall apart underneath. Same goes for Star sirius or Capella. Evolution is pure junk.

I still see hundreds if not thousands of 15+ year old club car, Yamaha and EZGOs running strong in my area which has to be one of the largest cart communities in America (per capita).
Funny. My DS finally gave out. My local Dealer will no longer work on Club Car DS, sells only $15k-$20k Lithium, and when I asked about after market Lithium for when the battery finally gives out he said Club Car designed the battery to last the life of the cart so I guess the new CC are designed to last only around 10 years, 4 years past battery warranty.
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:57 PM   #8
LakewayIcon
Not Yet Wild

We had this happen, and throw someone into the windsheild. Turns out that it was a faulty ignition switch (the key). If it got jiggled, it would disconnect and "turn off" the cart. replaced it and now it's perfect.
LakewayIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
Chris4851
Not Yet Wild

This has been discussed in many different threads on this site and Facebook groups. This is a MAJOR Saftey issue with Icon carts and eventually will lead to killing someone. Icon needs to be working on a solution for new carts and retrofit of existing asap. This issue is NOT just related to lithium battery upgrades, so the blame can’t be put on that.
Chris4851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #10
Ramjet1007
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgordon13 View Post
Hi all...was reading a post on an icon Facebook forum where the gentleman stated he was going full speed and all of the brakes locked up on him. He says he could not get the back end to roll and the magnetic brakes would not budge. I read all the responses and someone said that our carts have a faulty run switch.

So...is this true? If so, should we replace them before this happens? And if so, where do we get a good one and how do we replace it??

**** I hate finding stuff to make me worry!
I have replaced the switches on two different Icon carts where I live. Both switches just went wonky and the toggle stopped 'toggling' lol.
Ramjet1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon