lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #11
Ramjet1007
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Cart "locked up" at full speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
Without reading the FB post I don't know for sure but I'm betting the man had a lithium battery pack installed and the battery management system (BMS) shutdown. This causes the power to be cut from the cart and when power is cut on an ICON, the electromagnetic brake (EMB) closes. Others have reported this happening with a lithium pack installed. This is one reason I'm waiting for someone to come up with a buildable solution before I convert mine to lithium. If you are still using FLA or AGM batteries, I can't see this being a problem.
I just recently did a lithium conversion on an i40l where I live. Works great! I have read and understand all the concerns over the EMB and the potential of a BMS trip and subsequent EMB lockup while driving. This owner had a Trojan literally explode while he was driving at 25mph with his small child. Luckily nobody was hurt except the flat spots on the tires.

What I ended up doing to help alleviate this issue is to lightly tighten the 2 brake release bolts that takes tension off the EMB. Now the cart holds in place but you can with some force, rock the cart forward or backward with resistance. Now if power was lost due to an issue, the cart would not lockup but slow down quickly, in theory.

Has anyone else considered this method of reducing the lockup issue? Seemed quite logical to me.
Ramjet1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #12
kings point dennis
Not Yet Wild

Had the same problem. Wires on key switch were loose. Pushed them in and have not had it happen in the last two years.
kings point dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
staffcurtis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet1007 View Post
I just recently did a lithium conversion on an i40l where I live. Works great! I have read and understand all the concerns over the EMB and the potential of a BMS trip and subsequent EMB lockup while driving. This owner had a Trojan literally explode while he was driving at 25mph with his small child. Luckily nobody was hurt except the flat spots on the tires.

What I ended up doing to help alleviate this issue is to lightly tighten the 2 brake release bolts that takes tension off the EMB. Now the cart holds in place but you can with some force, rock the cart forward or backward with resistance. Now if power was lost due to an issue, the cart would not lockup but slow down quickly, in theory.

Has anyone else considered this method of reducing the lockup issue? Seemed quite logical to me.
This would seem like the best solution to remedy the problem. If it's a bad switch design then the cart slamming on brakes is inevitable.
staffcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:45 PM   #14
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

I just posted about this same topic, how much do you tighten them? Is it just some trial and error? I'd be interested to test before putting other passengers in the cart first if maybe I just flip the ignition off while driving and see how hard of a stop it is.
sgremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:45 PM   #15
CBarnes
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
I’ve replaced 6 run/tow switches on LVTong carts in the past 2 months in my area (predominantly the Aetric variety, however I highly doubt that is a part that icon changed from LVT). 3 of them claim it just broke while they were driving. And by broke I mean the toggle portion was just dangling and you could not select either of the positions.

A simple double pole double throw switch from the hardware store is all you need.
My son's Aetric cart has done the same thing. When from full throttle to the rear brakes locking up.

Does anyone have a diagram of the toggle switch? I believe when he tried to replace it the wires are not correct. Now the cart doesn't power up.
CBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:16 PM   #16
CBarnes
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
I’ve replaced 6 run/tow switches on LVTong carts in the past 2 months in my area (predominantly the Aetric variety, however I highly doubt that is a part that icon changed from LVT). 3 of them claim it just broke while they were driving. And by broke I mean the toggle portion was just dangling and you could not select either of the positions.

A simple double pole double throw switch from the hardware store is all you need.
Do yo have a wiring diagram for the switch or a wire color code, or maybe a photo were the wires connect to the back of the switch?
CBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon