lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
BCole10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default ‘08 Club Car lithium conversion - lights question

I converted my ‘08 club car, which had 4 12V batteries, to the 48V lithium 60ah batteries. I’ve had this conversion done for a couple months, but never hooked up the lights since I thought it needed a voltage reducer.

Since this cart is pre-wired for lights…… does anyone have any advice on how to go about hooking the lights up on this? I’m not sure where the reducer should be wired.

Thanks for any help!
BCole10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: ‘08 Club Car lithium conversion - lights question

I would mount the reducer near the battery since the 12V leads are probably already there. Get a high quality reducer with a "trigger wire" that goes to the ignition switch.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Dallas@Eco Battery
Getting Wild

Our voltage reducers included in our battery bundles connect straight to the battery on the input side. On the output side, we connect to the generally existing 12 volt wires already in the cart. These would be the wires that were originally connected to a pair of batteries in a stock lead acid application.
And, as Volt_Ampere mentioned, we have a "trigger wire" or "key on" wire that we connect to the ignition switch so lights and other accessories are only on with the key on.
Dallas@Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #4
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

I just posted in this thread the other day... "lithium upgrade with pics" where I also did a 60ah lithium upgrade. If you look at picture 2 out of 5, you can see my cheap-o voltage reducer just below the busbar. The reducer gets wired for input on the pos and neg on the busbar and I wired both my stereo and lights to the output wires. Works great.
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
BCole10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help.

I’m confused. This cart was pre-wired for a light kit……so when I initially installed the lights (before lithium batteries)……. all I had to do was add a light switch, plug in the harness connectors, & only had to hook up a blue wire to the battery (which is the positive) Didn’t have to hook any negatives up.

So what I’m confused about is where I reduce the negative….. which negative wire to hook to reducer.

Hope that makes sense.
BCole10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:38 PM   #6
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

I had the same exact thing. One blue wire for my headlight / taillight kit. It was originally hooked to one positive terminal of a single 12v lead acid battery. That’s the way it was when I took delivery. After my lithium upgrade, I butt connected that blue wire to the positive output wire from the voltage reducer. No negative involved. My radio has a pos and a neg… (along with key switch wire that I didn’t use…) so the positive output wire from my reducer feeds 2 wires at the butt connector… blue for light kit and radio positive. The other (neg) output from reducer is radio negative.
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
phins2rt
Gone Wild
Club Car

Check out the Palmetto Battery Pros videos on you tube. They may help.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_...4QCn-oY--dRcag
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
Dallas@Eco Battery
Getting Wild

On some carts, the 12 volt negative is tied back to the main negative in the harness, eliminating the need for a dedicated wire going to the battery negative. The positive will generally be separately attached to 1 or 2 batteries to get ~12 volts instead of full pack voltage.
Dallas@Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #9
Cws
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2016 Club car and after putting in my Eco Battery kit the lights would not work. What I found was my cart has a factory 48 to 12 volt converter inline between the battery and the lights. The converter is installed beside the passenger side front wheel. Once i disconnected the Eco supplied voltage converter, and reconnected the club car voltage reducer directly from the battery, my lights worked. The eco voltage reducer is not used in my setup, which I believe is complete OEM.
Cws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, lithium, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car