lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
rutdog
Not Yet Wild

Default 2016 Precedent won't run

Ok, I have a 2016 electric Precedent with stock everything except the controller (Altrax 400 I bought from Revolution). It has the stock Regen motor (EJ8-2001A), factory solenoid, MCOR that came installed. It has operated jerky when not floored since the Alltrax controller was installed. Basically if the throttle is not 100%, the speed goes up/down, but I've just dealt with that. But a couple days ago, I parked it and now it won't do anything. The lights won't come on, even the reverse buzzer won't make a sound. I've checked everything I know how to check, but I know I need help from the experts.

Rundown of what I've done so far:
-Checked battery water level, added, but they weren't too low.
-Checked voltage, charges to ~56V, drops to ~50V once discharged a bit.
-Checked the directional switch both ways for correct continuity and connections.
-Checked the main solenoid switch, Run/Tow switch, and key switch for continuity.
-Pulled the batteries out, checked connections on the Alltrax, the motor, the solenoid.
-Visually inspected the motor, I don't know of much I can test on the motor?
-Checked all fuses I could see.

My main thought is there must be a loose/damaged/broken wire. But, I also wonder if the issue could be with the Alltrax. I cannot see the LED light to see if there is an error code or even if the LED light is lit. I only installed it 2 years ago, but could I have fried it somehow?
I tried to find a good wiring diagram of the 2016 Precedent, but have had no luck.

Anyone with advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rut
rutdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2016 Precedent won't run

Have you checked to see if you have voltage at the key switch,rev/fwd switch, run/tow switch, or the solenoid control coil?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
rutdog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Have you checked to see if you have voltage at the key switch,rev/fwd switch, run/tow switch, or the solenoid control coil?
Yes, I just verified all. ~50V at each (tow/run switch, Key sw, directional sw, '+' solenoid post).
The solenoid coil positive post has 50.25V and the negative has 49.82V. I would assume that's the normal voltage drop with the diode and resistor between the 2 posts?
Old 09-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutdog View Post
Yes, I just verified all. ~50V at each (tow/run switch, Key sw, directional sw, '+' solenoid post).
The solenoid coil positive post has 50.25V and the negative has 49.82V. I would assume that's the normal voltage drop with the diode and resistor between the 2 posts?
When you said lights don't work in the OP I assume you are talking headlights?
Old 09-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #5
rutdog
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=jasonojordan;1910820]When you said lights don't work in the OP I assume you are talking headlights?[/QUO

I think I was talking about the LED light on the Alltrax, but I went and checked just now before I replied.... The headlights do work, no brake lights, still nothing else. Now, I'm more confused....
Old 09-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

[quote=rutdog;1910823]
Quote:
When you said lights don't work in the OP I assume you are talking headlights?[/QUO

I think I was talking about the LED light on the Alltrax, but I went and checked just now before I replied.... The headlights do work, no brake lights, still nothing else. Now, I'm more confused....
Are your lights wired off a couple batteries or are you using a voltage converter?

The reason I asked what lights you were referring to was to try and isolate what parts of the cart are and are not working.

But if you have no signs of life on your controller and you have proper voltage going into the controller and all these other cart based systems that go through the controller via the key switch/tow switch that is not looking good for the controller.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:52 PM   #7
rutdog
Not Yet Wild

[quote=jasonojordan;1910825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutdog View Post

Are your lights wired off a couple batteries or are you using a voltage converter?

The reason I asked what lights you were referring to was to try and isolate what parts of the cart are and are not working.

But if you have no signs of life on your controller and you have proper voltage going into the controller and all these other cart based systems that go through the controller via the key switch/tow switch that is not looking good for the controller.
That's one of the things I was afraid of. Do you know anything about hooking into the controller with the printer style USB? Would I be able to check it somehow if I can find one of those USB's?

For the lights, I do not know if they come straight off the batteries or what. I don't think I have the DC-DC converter. There's a 9 pin connector that's not hooked into anything back there with the lights and key switch wires. They have ~50V going to them, which seems weird because I expected that to be less.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You need a laptop with the Alltrax software on it and a USB cable. This is very much worth doing. The Alltrax software can usually tell you what is wrong and you can share a log with the Alltrax support guy.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

[quote=rutdog;1910827]
Quote:

That's one of the things I was afraid of. Do you know anything about hooking into the controller with the printer style USB? Would I be able to check it somehow if I can find one of those USB's?

For the lights, I do not know if they come straight off the batteries or what. I don't think I have the DC-DC converter. There's a 9 pin connector that's not hooked into anything back there with the lights and key switch wires. They have ~50V going to them, which seems weird because I expected that to be less.
I know on my 04 the you have 50V everywhere except the output of the installed dc-dc converter I have.

I have a Navitas controller and know very little about the Alltrax. There are a ton of fokes on here with Alltrax controllers that are very intimate with the ins and outs of them though that I have no doubt can help you with the USB cable question.

Tags
2016, club car, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car