lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2023, 08:41 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Ezgo fouling one spark plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I know you can take an MCI engine in and out in a Georgia minute

l

Sad… but true

He says it’s an mci engine… but also said it’s a pre-mci coil because the 2 wires are separate. I take that to mean a couple spade terminals instead of the little 2 pin connector.

I can’t help but wonder what generation coil, pulsar, and flywheel is in the cart… people do stupid things and get them to run so they can sell them. Doesn’t mean they run “well” but they run and drive
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2023, 08:46 PM   #12
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

Sad… but true

He says it’s an mci engine… but also said it’s a pre-mci coil because the 2 wires are separate. I take that to mean a couple spade terminals instead of the little 2 pin connector.

I can’t help but wonder what generation coil, pulsar, and flywheel is in the cart… people do stupid things and get them to run so they can sell them. Doesn’t mean they run “well” but they run and drive
I just don't know unless I see a picture of the ignition system. His engine is definitely a MCI according to his pictures. He has to have the MCI ignitor and pulser or it wouldn't run at all.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:52 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As you proved yourself… with enough persistence you can even make a ford ignitor work.

Doesn’t mean it works well or runs right. But it did run.

Probably one of the few ford things that did actually run
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:57 PM   #14
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

Here are some more pictures
ewsisk1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:01 PM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
As you proved yourself… with enough persistence you can even make a ford ignitor work.

Doesn’t mean it works well or runs right. But it did run.

Probably one of the few ford things that did actually run
I still have the blue tab module and the chevy HEI module but they are not going back on a ezgo . I dropped the dodge resistor I was using and broke it a few months ago.
I doubt a Ford that old will ever break down in front of my shop and need one of those modules while I am still here. I know how to make one. Throw it away
Old 02-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsisk1s View Post
Here are some more pictures
Pull the cover off the ignitor if its still on it and show us a picture of it. You have a pre mci coil for sure but my bet is you have the MCI ignitor. Its on the plate where your starter solenoid is located. No way would it run with the pre mci ignitor . The color of your pulser wires are also a different color and not red and black like the pre mci pulsers are.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #17
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

Is this the ignitor?
ewsisk1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I'm still here guys! I'm in agreement here. Until we know exactly what we are dealing with, it is impossible to pinpoint where the problem is. There are so many differences between pre MCI and MCI, that any mismatch of parts will cause problems. The first thing I would be doing is to make sure all parts are compatible, then a full engine strip down is needed. First to check that the oil rings are not damaged or worn as Trig has suggested and then a full new build with all correct parts. On the assumption that the engine is indeed MCI, and the images tend to prove that it is, then a full investigation of the ignition system is required to correct any wrong parts here. Most non MCI parts will not fit, so hopefully the flywheel and pulser are correct. This just leaves, correct belt timing, Carburetor, and ignition parts as I don't think the muffler will have much impact. I could be wrong here but I know others have successfully modified mufflers to fit the later engine. I think with all the unknowns, maybe the best options are to find a doner from a clone conversion or do a clone conversion yourself. Trig, CP, myself and a few others have done hours of work on both these Robin engines and never had this issue. Something is definitely out of ahack here. If the engine is running fairly well with plenty of power but fouling just one cylinder, then it does seem to point to worn or broken rings in that pot. I would start here! Get the engine rebuild manual and start reading! These engines are actually really easy to strip and rebuild. Anything else at this point is just guesswork. It also looks like you bought the correct carb, but I would check the jet size is correct for your engine assuming yours actually is a 350cc and a previous owner has not just thrown in a 295cc.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:15 PM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsisk1s View Post
Is this the ignitor?
Just as I thought. You have the MCI ignitor but you got to get a MCI coil to go with it.
You are not the first person to do this because of the cost of a MCI coil. I don't want to scare you but they are expensive if there were still available.
Here is what country cat says
E-Z-GO Ignition Coil - 2004-2009 Fuji Robin Subaru, Sku # 72866G01 is no longer available. $402.02
Its never going to run right with that pre mci coil.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:20 PM   #20
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

That would be a good start. Let's see what coil you actually have!

I still think we need to concentrate on why only one cylinder is fouling a plug.

I wonder if it might be a bad oil ring.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, fouling, spark plugs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO