lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 36 volt controller CC won't go / update

I bought a 1994 CC 36 V controller cart in rough shape for something to do.
Wires were cut, connections rusty and batteries questionable. Previous owner also bought as a project but admitted to getting in over his head.

Things I've done so far:
repaced battery wires with new 4 gauge
cleaned all connections and parts ( except controller )
bench tested motor ( good )
new solenoid checked diode and resistor ( good )
new V speed controller body checked resistors and micro switch ( good )
new micro switches on F/R switch
new ignition? switch
2 ( yes, just 2 ) new Trojan 145 batteries / came with 4 newer Trojans and 2 old Exides ( planning on replacing whole pack when cart runs )
reconnected wires and checked conductivity

results:

was able to get in reverse and forward intermittently, sometimes would decide to work, sometimes not...only got to drive it down the street once where it refused at first to move after braking,..finally got it to move in reverse, backed up the street where it then, once again, decided to move in forward..........parked it.

further things I've done:

cleaned controller terminals and wires, one terminal at a time to assure correct wire replacement
charged batteries

results:

after charging batteries, could get cart to move forward and backward several times before becoming selective about when it wanted to work then failing to work

last things done:

checked F/R switch and found good conductivity between wires to motor and wires to controller at bus bars but F is a little out of alignment...if pushed too far one wire lines up on bar but other goes a little past the other bar but this can be fixed by pulling the lever back a little so they both rest on bars ( will be replacing this switch ).......took wires off rotating arm and jumped directly to wires going to controller...put into forward and reverse with no results
solenoid clicks but no movement

checked batteries with ammeter and hydrometer ( can't load test because it don't load :-( ) and get everything good all batteries run about 7.5 and pack runs about 44.5, hydrometer maxes out on every cell

results: get clicking at solenoid but no movement...so far

things I've noticed:

get best results right after charging but don't last long
movement usually comes a couple seconds after hearing solenoid click if you hold down on the accelerator,..not immediate response

any thoughts? Thanks
kramsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1994 36 volt controller CC won't go / update

a new observation is that:

while charger is on, I get movement from the cart but when I unplug the charger...a lot less luck

why am I suspecting the batteries are bad even though they show good??????????
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can you post your battery voltages.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

just went out and read them
straight through...they're all reading 6.5 now except for one reading 6.6 ( number 5 battery )
the pack is reading 39.6................... get a 44.4 reading with the charger on
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know what the throttle input range is for your cart's controller but I would find out what it is supposed to be and then check the output of the pot/v-glide what ever they call it on cc and make sure that the right value makes it to the controller. (on my ezgo it is 0-5k ohms resting pedal to full pedal for example.) Check this at controller to eliminate broken wiring.
If that's good and still no cigar then I would put the rear axle on jack stands and jump M- to B- on the controller. This bypasses the controller and if now the wheels spin then it would be a bad controller. This will be full bore so be careful doing it. You will still have to have it in forward or reverse obviously to complete the circuit. (if you got your wires connected back to the f&r)

This is based on reading what you said you have already done.

Barna
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

My two guesses, unfortunately, are either the controller or batteries ( couldn't be something cheap ) ....... my confusion stems from the fact that sometimes ( although pretty inconsistently ) it does seem to want to run. I did get to ride it down and back on the street once. But now seems to die almost immediately after the few times I get it to respond by backing up a few feet. At least I know now how to test the controller which I'll do this weekend. My other option is that I do have two known to be good 12 volt marine batteries from my boats that I might replace the older 4 batteries in my pack with to see if I get any response. Will this do any harm?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No harm for testing just keep the same nominal voltage. ( you know don't accidentally feed the system 60V etc. Replace two series connected 6V with a 12V is ok for testing)
Barna
Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info

I'm assuming ( being as electronically moronic as I am ) that I test the output of the speed controller at the two lugs on the controller which receive the two wires from the speed controller.????????????
Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Correct! Ideally you would disconnect them and test right from the wires to get the true reading. Remind you I have no clue what it is for your CC. That's why I said to find out first! If it is ohms then that's easy to check but it could be any darn thing. Someone will probably chime in soon with knowledge of your cart's system.
Barna
Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

I'm pretty sure it's 0 to 5 I know I've seen that somewhere in all the tech stuff I stole off the internet about my cart

I'll post my results this weekend...thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car