lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Ted's 1989 Club Car DS - the evolution of a sporting clays cart

Hey Gang,

I had been looking on and off for about 2 weeks for a used cart that I could use as a sporting clays rig. My plan was to get a solid runner. Lift it, put some bigger tires on it. Add a sporting clays basket, flip flop rear seat, and some other minor stuff.

Found this one on Craig's List. IT was 2 hours away. The owner and I met about halfway in the middle. I took it for a ride and looked it over quickly. We negotiated a bit on the price for some issues which were not disclosed.

This one came 1/2 way done. I figured it might be worth a shot.

Below is how it looked in the ad:

This is how it looked when he picked it up, after a few hours of clean up:

The previous owner did some tear down. Installed a lift, and got it ready to paint:

During pre assmebly:

When he and I were negotiating the deal on the phone, he mentioned a crack in the cowl. He sent a photo of the crack. It didn't look too bad.

When he arrived at the meeting spot, the cracks looked a lot worse. I was kind of bummed.

Regardless, it ran well and looked better than most carts in the price range so I bought it and it followed me home.

I will update this thread over time as I make improvements.

Thanks!
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Ted's 1989 Club Car DS - Day one

Day 1:

Once I had it home, I took each of the kids for a quick spin around the block. The cart has a 6" lift and heavy duty rear springs. The ride in the rear is a bit jarring. The next modifications are going to be: Headlights, Clays basket, rear seat, and possibly an 80" top.

After all of the joy rides were over, I noticed the cracks were pretty flimsy and that they had possibly opened up a bit. I was not pleased. So I immediately drilled out the ends of the cracks, in hopes of stopping the spread:

This is what I found behind each of the cracks. Looks like bubble gum and some other 'stuff':

I really can't complain about the shape of the cart, other than the cracks. Super clean and ready to get started on making it mine:

The cart didn't come with a windshield or top. I had to source some used parts. Here is a shot of me cleaning up the windshield frame and top supports. I hit the frame with a wire brush on a grider. Then I primed it and hit it with a few coats of satin black:

While that was drying I turned my attention back to the cracks. I figured some 1/2 aluminuim angle stock and some pop rivets should stabilize those cracks until I could figure out what to do next:

With that all in order and the cowl back on, I figured I'd put the windshield frame back on:

While I was under the cart checking things out, I noticed that the owner had a penchant for fixing things with zip ties. The most alarming 'fix' was that the throttle pedal linkage was zip tied together. There are 4 thin zip ties holding the linkage to the pedal assembly. Not good. Seems like an incident waiting to happen.

I'll fix that on the next go round. I just need to figure out what pieces are missing and why he rigged it up.

Until the next time - Not bad for a day's work.

Thanks for stopping in!
Ted

Last edited by TRP; 04-29-2013 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Added a caption or two...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Ted's 1989 Club Car DS - the evolution of a sporting clays cart

Nice looking cart! Lets see a pic of that zip-tie forest you mentioned down by the pedal.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
TRP
Gone Wild

Here are few shots of the 6" lift kit installed by the Previous Owner:

Speaking of things installed by the previous owner (PO):

How many zip ties do you usually use for a throttle cable repair?

All kidding aside, my guess is that he broke down someplace and needed a field repair to get home. The repair may have worked so well, he just kept it in place. :)

I'd like to fix them properly.

Ted
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
TRP
Gone Wild

Hey Gang,

It's been a busy few weeks out here in California. Even with all that - I've made some progress on the cart.

I managed to get the following items installed:
Sporting clays basked (needed to modify the brackets to get it to fit properly)
The Rear Flip Flop seat (installed without any issues at all.)
1993 and up Club Car DS headlights. (Tail lights to come)
New Pedals (Brake, Hill brake, and 'go' pedal)

I started working on:
The used 80" top I picked up - complete for 80.00!!

Still to do:
Fender Flares, Gun Rack, Black diamond plat kick sill, and finish the top.

Above you will see that it's really starting to come together. The 80" top was a nice score. It had a few cracks in the edge and one larger one in the front. I managed to drill the cracks out and 'notch' them with a V using my dremel tool. Once they were sanded, drilled, and notched - I filled the cracks with ZB weld. The cracks sealed up really nicely! Nice and strong. Next up? Paint the rear seat/top bars and the top frame the same satin black. Then I will Herculiner the entire plastic section.

The sporting clays basket should have been the easiest thing to install. However, I needed to drill new holes about 3/8ths of an inch inward on the brackets. As it came, there was a 3/4 inch gap between the basket bracket and the basket brackets. Not a big deal, as I have the tools. Just not something I expected. I think I will fabricate a new bracket for the front of the basket. As it stands now, only those two windshield / top 'body' brackets secure the basket to the cart. The brackets are really far 'back' on the cart. I would have expected there to have been a 'front' bracket someplace. The current mounting system allows the basket to 'flop around' like a diving board. I can't imagine this will be good for the body/frame of the cart. I will most likely build something to tie into the lower front bumper bracket. Ugly? yes. Functional? Yes.

The rear flip flop seat went in without any issues at all.

As you can see, the 93 and up headlight kit for the Club Car DS, does work on an 88. You need to cut the holes a bit larger than if you were installing them on a 93. You need the extra room to make them fit across the top lip of the cowl.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

Well done! Looks good.
R8cer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cart is coming along great - nice job! What are your thoughts for gun rack(s)?
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
TRP
Gone Wild

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the gun racks, I mostly shoot skeet so it wouldn't be used unless I'm on one of our two sporting clays courses. Because it wouldn't be used the majority of the time, I'm thinking one of the removable ones might be best suited for me.

My only real concern with the floor mounted C flange style 'velcro secured' types - is that the don't seem to offer much protection for the guns. My guns all have really nice wood on them. I'm VERY careful not to treat them like sticks. I remove my wedding ring when I shoot. I make sure my shooting jacket doesn't have any exposed zippers/buttons/ or snaps. It'd be a **** shame to go be so protective, only to have them gimped up by some half rate gun rack in the cart.

I did see a nice set of custom scabbards on another site. I e-mailed the guy to ask if he was still selling them. If he's not supplying them any longer, I may buy one of the standard ones and simply mount my own scabbards to it.

What do you suggest?

ClubCar5 - are those the LED tractor spot lights I see on your cart? what size did you get? How do you like them?

Ted
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
TRP
Gone Wild

Regarding gun racks:
I did find this link:
http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes...235&Messages=8

But at $250.00 plus $20.00 shipping, I may have to try my hand at making my own. That's a pretty nice piece. Naturally, I'd have to have it powder coated black. :)

Something to think about....
Ted
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Good deal! Glad to see those lights fit. I may get a set for mine now that I know they'll not only fit, but look good.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1989, club car ds, gas, skeet, sporting clays
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts