lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
illumastorm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default found out why motor started knocking

got this old 1989 DS few weeks ago an got the carb rebuilt an had a chance to fire it up yesterday, was running great!!! spent the afternoon tooling around the neighborhood then got back home an i started hearing a slight knocking coming from the motor, eased it to garage an shut it off an let it cool down. this am went out an was slowly turning the clutch an turning the crank an i could feel a slight "bump" (best way to describe it) as it went past TDC an BDC so i was 90% sure something went wrong with connecting rod. pulled motor an got it on bench an removed the side cover an this is what i found!!!! guessing the oil slinger broke an it also took the bolt retainer tab with it an that let the cap bolt back out an the cap loosened up. took cap off an no damage to bearing surface or to crank so i got lucky!!!!

just how important is the oil slinger? i think i can weld the tabs back together if i cant find a replacement. or should i just leave it off? also anything else i should check while cover is off while it's easy to get to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (1).jpg (45.2 KB, 0 views)
illumastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: found out why motor started knocking

You'll want to check your crank journal for out-of-round before you throw it back together. I have two KF82 crankshafts in my basement that look great to the naked eye, but will knock if I ever tried to put another connecting rod on them.

You also need to replace/reinstall that oil slinger, because it is what oils your engine. If you don't have it, your motor will not oil properly.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
illumastorm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

checked the crank an connecting rod, both good. an got the oil slinger repaired an back on. kinda stupid design in my opinion, those show be more sturdy where they attach to connecting rod cap but oh well, it's back together just like stock. get it back on cart this weekend an hope it dont break again.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Let us know if it works out.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
illumastorm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

woohoo,, motor back in cart an running like new, smooth an quiet!!!!!!! just goes to show once motor starts making noises shut it down!!!!! saved me lots of $$$$$. or else i got lucky? either way i'm happy
Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

A long long time ago, I had two gas powered 1.5 kW generators I cared for, one had a hole in the side of the case where it threw a rod, the other had a hole in the top of one of its cylinders. They were two cylinder engines, all I had for tools was a hammer, flat tip screw driver, 6 inch crescent wrench, small vice grips. I took both apart and took a piston from the one with the hole in the case put it in the one with the bad piston. Got it all back together it ran for as long as I was with that unit. I got a medal for outstanding performance
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car