lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default 2001 CC FE290 Has fire, will not start

I have a 2001 CC DS with FE290. Have replaced Carb and Coil, still will not start.

Have a blue Spark at the plug, has good compression. Have tried lightly spraying ether into carb and still will not start or hit. Any ideas?
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 CC FE290 Has fire, will not start

I don't know what you consider a "light spray." Go ahead and spray it good WHILE it's turning over.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Spark, fuel, air, compression, That's all en engine needs to run.

Its not hitting at all?

Assuming your spark timing and valve timing is correct. I would think if you have good compression your valve timing could not be far off.

Whats good compression?

You could put some gas or starting fluid directly in combustion chamber thru spark plug holes, then you know the fuel is getting in the engine.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
Spark, fuel, air, compression, That's all en engine needs to run.

Its not hitting at all?

Assuming your spark timing and valve timing is correct. I would think if you have good compression your valve timing could not be far off.

Whats good compression?

You could put some gas or starting fluid directly in combustion chamber thru spark plug holes, then you know the fuel is getting in the engine.
It may hit once or twice at most, barely on one stroke. I have sprayed ample of amounts of ether and Spark Plug hole and Carb (I have been able to make other CC's run this way).

My guess is it still is in the spark. Where/How do you set the spark timing? I just assumed that was auto set by the location of the magnet on the flywheel.

I doubt the valve timing is off, I will get a number on the compression, but I can tell it is very good, I have had them run with less than this.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
It may hit once or twice at most, barely on one stroke. I have sprayed ample of amounts of ether and Spark Plug hole and Carb (I have been able to make other CC's run this way).

My guess is it still is in the spark. Where/How do you set the spark timing? I just assumed that was auto set by the location of the magnet on the flywheel.

I doubt the valve timing is off, I will get a number on the compression, but I can tell it is very good, I have had them run with less than this.
This is true on spark timing, unless something has come loose, or possible moved on the keyway. I have seen flywheels jump the keyway and move just a little and that's all it takes. If the flywheel has ever come loose and run that way it will long gate the key slot.

Don't know if that's your issue or not, but its possible if your thinking spark timing.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Try changing the plug. I have seen them be fouled and fire outside of the chamber but once under compression, nope. Is the plug wet at all ? Also may be some water in the bowl of the carb. Drain it as well
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Rover12
Not Yet Wild

You are describing exactly what I encountered on my 2002 CC DS w/FE290 last week. I would suggest disconnecting the brown ground wire on your RPM limiter, that's what got mine running. Same as you, I changed the carb and coil, also all the fuel lines, fuel pump, spark plug, battery, terminals, connections, micro switches, with no effect. I had spark, fuel, air, all good, I checked the compression and had 180 psi, I checked the valves and they seemed to be fine, and the thing would not fire at all. Also tried starting fluid, would not fire even though I had good spark. Finally I got curious about the RPM limiter and disconnected the brown wire, now it runs like champ and starts right up. So apparently the Rpm limiter was bad even though I had good spark.
Rover12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
fam54christ@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

I am having exact same problem.....where is RPM limiter so I can disconnect brown wire please ?
fam54christ@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
fam54christ@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

have found RPM limiter but has two black wires coming from it which lead to one white (2008 CC gas) thinking about cutting one of the black wires
fam54christ@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fam54christ@yahoo.com View Post
have found RPM limiter but has two black wires coming from it which lead to one white (2008 CC gas) thinking about cutting one of the black wires
Don't! The RPM limiter grounds through a brown wire that ends in an eye terminal at one of the bolts on the metal strap that holds the limiter in place. To disable the limiter disconnect that brown wire. If you cut those black wires the spark will not ground out / turn off when you release the pedal or even turn off the key.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car