lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Default drive belt questions

Hey, folks, have a couple of questions about the drive belt concerning my 96 carry all 1 with a clockwise 350(converted from counterclockwise FE290 3 years ago)

The other day I lost a chunk out of my drive belt(see pic top belt is the old belt, and believe it or not the bottom belt is brand new and with about 15mins run time) my question is there anything other than a defective belt that could cause this. I have never seen this happen before

The second pic is a close up of how the new belt separated

old belt part #1016203 top pic
new belt part# 10986 bottom pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0617.JPG (112.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.JPG (99.9 KB, 0 views)
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: drive belt questions

Did you get it from BU?

Cheapo belts are just that. Get a real club car belt. The extra $ is worth it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

well I didn't think it was cheap at $35 but my question was other than a defective belt or a cheap one is there anything else such as a clutch that could cause this
Old 12-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

In 15 minutes? Not likely.
Only thing that should majorly wear out a belt would be a locked up idler bearing in the middle of the drive clutch, excessively worn clutch sheaves, or misalignment of the drive and driven clutches. I've dealt with all three and never had an OEM belt fail like that. I've had several cheaper belts fail. Dayco and Gates brand belts that are available to me through local suppliers haven't lasted very long. I did buy one no-name brand drive belt through my local cart dealer and it fell apart similar to yours in about 2 months. But he was great about it and gave me a full refund. He also stopped selling those belts. I can only assume I wasn't the only one who had it fail.

Those two belts look like totally different size belts. You say top pic and bottom pic, but the pic is sideways?
The old belt that came off the cart was the one on the right?
New belt is on the left? (looks smaller)

The belts I use on most of my carts are 1017188, and I just got a few from Revolution for a little under $50 each. These are the belts Club car uses on the FE350 powered carryall, Transporter, Tourall, and other heavy duty carts.
I also have some 1016203 belts that I use on the older carts (counter clockwise FE290 carts) but I can't really tell the difference between the two by looking at them. I assume the 7188 belt is heavier duty.

Just though of another thing. If your cart was originally a counter clockwise cart, there is a specific spacing between the center of the drive and driven clutch on those older setups. If that spacing is wrong your belt may be too tight or too loose, an that can cause damage to the belt over time.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Only thing that should majorly wear out a belt would be a locked up idler bearing in the middle of the drive clutch, excessively worn clutch sheaves, or misalignment of the drive and driven clutches. I've dealt with all three and never had an OEM belt fail like that. I've had several cheaper belts fail. Dayco and Gates brand belts that are available to me through local suppliers haven't lasted very long. I did buy one no-name brand drive belt through my local cart dealer and it fell apart similar to yours in about 2 months. But he was great about it and gave me a full refund. He also stopped selling those belts. I can only assume I wasn't the only one who had it fail.

Those two belts look like totally different size belts. You say top pic and bottom pic, but the pic is sideways?

The belts I use on most of my carts are 1017188, and I just got a few from Revolution for a little under $50 each. These are the belts Club car uses on the FE350 powered carryall, Transporter, Tourall, and other heavy duty carts.
I also have some 1016203 belts that I use on the older carts (counter clockwise FE290 carts) but I can't really tell the difference between the two by looking at them. I assume the 7188 belt is heavier duty.

Just though of another thing. If your cart was originally a counter clockwise cart, there is a specific spacing between the center of the drive and driven clutch on those older setups. If that spacing is wrong your belt may be too tight or too loose, an that can cause damage to the belt over time.
The better-looking belt is THE OLD ONE the belt that's literally 15 mins old is the one that looks like it was chewed up by a pit bull
Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

UPDATED video
Attached Files
File Type: zip Untitled_Message (1).zip (1.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Okay I got a replacement belt ahead of an anticipated Friday time. Took a video cant post but my top speed is about 6mp less the the original old belt 21mph vs the new 15/16
Old 12-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Untitled_Message (1) (1).zip
Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Who do you think actually manufactures club car belts ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Default Re: UPDATED_drive belt questions

I finally got around to replacing the messed up new belt that was returned and replaced free of charge.

I installed the replacement belt ran it up and down the street a few time my top normal top speed is off by maybe 5mph that's one thing, checked it several times during the run belt seemed excessively hot but then again never really felt the belt before finally heard/felt a telltale slap of the belt failing and sure enough there were some strings coming off the belt this time and the layers were beginning to separate. I no longer think its the belt also the belt HAD MANAGED TO TURN ITSELF INSIDE OUT. I will again return this aftermarket bel but get an OEM as a replacement but something else is going on and if anyone one has any idea what I should be looking at I could sure use the help. This is the second replacement belt starting to fail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0627.JPG (56.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car