lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Switched radio, constant memory with reducer

There is no such a thing as "memory signal" on typical radios, all power comes from the constant +12v, the switched +12v is only used as a trigger signal.

I know, low blow on the chinese amps comment, but typically those are overstated numbers and just like power ratings on amps, your have very high distortion at the upper limit.

Are you using special head units that still use a separate low current +12v just for memory settings retention?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
kraftchick
Not Yet Wild

Sergio, hadn't looked at the drawing when I just replied...after looking at it now, thanks again....that is precisely what I was after!!! Just didn't know if a 48v coil relay existed, nor what to call it...awesome work!
kraftchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #23
Cart Sports
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftchick View Post
Original poster here...fortunately my DC/DC converter does have the switching control wire, so I should good to go on parts by just picking up that 48v coil relay. Thanks Sergio!
Yes, in that case, using a normally closed relay should work fine. You need to make sure that it doesn't close when the key is on, or you could still lose your presets in the switch. Admittedly, I don't know much about how the head-units use the power and if you have either the switched or main power on, whether it would still store the presets.
Cart Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
kraftchick
Not Yet Wild

No...I had referred to the "memory wire" based on a wiring diagram I saw for this radio. i do believe as you originally stated, the red wire (smaller gauge) is +12v for switching the radio on. The other +12v input to the radio (heavier gauge) is what I believe needs the constant +12v to maintain presets, etc.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just to be clear, the relay is Normally Open.

You need 2 power connections from the Radio to the Converter.

1) The +12v Constant large gauge wire from the radio (the one with the fuse), goes to the Constant Output Section.

2) The +12v switched wire (smaller gauge) from the radio goes to the Output of the Relay so it only gets power when the Key switch is on.

Edit: You got it, our posts overlaped.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #26
kraftchick
Not Yet Wild

Found this one with a basic Google search, what do you think? Do you know if Auto parts stores carry these generally? http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/i...products_id=88
Old 11-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #27
kraftchick
Not Yet Wild

Quick question I didn't pick up on. I realize all "grounds" need to terminate to the negatives...if 48v, then negative of battery back, if 12v (accessories), then negative of 12v side of converter. In the drawing, does the negative from the 48v coil relay terminate into the 48v negative? Basically just tying it into the -48v that's "feeding" the 48v side of the DC/DC converter?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I ussualy buy my parts from Mouser electronics, this is their part# link

Digikey is another good place to get electronic parts, here is their part# link.

Make sure You get the 30amp version (your link was for the 20amp)

Yes, the negative side of the relay coil goes to pack negative (the -48v feeding your DC/DC Converter).

Most likely the 12v negative is the same as the 48v negative, there are a few converters on the Market that have isolated outputs, but the most common ones share the same negative.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #29
Cart Sports
Getting Wild

Uh, It's been a while since I've done stereo stuff, but the large fused Red wire is normally the main power, which needs to be on the switched side. The smaller, Yellow wire is the signal, needs to be constant, and doesn't carry much amperage.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #30
Cart Sports
Getting Wild

And yes, the conversion is normally done via the + side, so negatives are normally common.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car