lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 marathon revs then bogs down

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and cant wait to chime in on the conversations! I myself am a mechanic, i'm very familiar with atv engines and automobiles, but my ezgo is having some issues and its got me stumped. First off i inherited my ezgo from a family member that bought a razor and no longer used the ezgo. She is a 89 marathon 2 stroke with a lift kit and has been running just fine for year with the usual maintenance that goes along. It starts up and idles just fine, and runs pretty good. The problem i have is about 100 yards or so the engine bogs down like its flooding or running out of fuel, the engine will never die completely but only idle, with no reaction to throttle response, after idling for about a minute throttle response returns and it goes for another 100 yards then repeats. I did notice that when it start to bog and slow down, if you pull the choke or play with it, it seems to bring life back into momentarily. I was told that it has the "bigger carb" i have no idea what that means, but would like more info about the carb in case i need parts. Any help would be greatly appreciate, or and directions i should even start to look towards. thanks a bunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0101151834.jpg (183.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0101151833.jpg (197.3 KB, 0 views)
ctracingraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 marathon revs then bogs down

Sounds like fuel starvation, or a clogged exhaust.

Pull the line off the fuel pump going to the carb, and see if it puts out a good healthy spurt of gas while turning it over.

If it looks good, loosen the exhaust pipe at the muffler, and give that a try.

If those are both good, it would then be time to clean out the carburetor. Before taking the carburetor apart though, I would run a healthy dose of Sea Foam.

EDIT: You have a 3 PG engine. The bigger carb is a BV-24 instead of a BV-18. It will be stamped on the carburetor somewhere. My understanding is that the BV-24 only came factory on the 1988 2-PG engine. If you have one, somebody could have added it.

ANOTHER EDIT: According to this, yours is a BV-21 carburetor. It's size is in between the other 2.

"This is a factory made Mikuni BV-21 Carburetor for E-Z-GO Golf Carts & Utility Vehicles with 3pg 2-cycle gas engines made from mid-1989 thru 1994.

Factory Part #: 24262G1

This Mikuni BV-21 carb was originally used on 1989 to 1994 E-Z-GO Utility Vehicles, but it will also fit on golf cart engines, providing a little more power.

No other carburetor offered is designed for these models. The key identifier for this carb is the funky little steel lever arm on the top. This carb is a little larger than the BV-18 originally used on 1989 to 1994 2-cycle golf carts..

Note: Early 1989 gas golf cars may have the older '2pg' gas engine rather than the new '3pg' engine. It is easy to distinquish between the different engines. The '2pg' has a 'stand-up' muffler on the driver side of the engine and the '3pg' engine has a lay-down muffler in front of the engine. This carburetor will not work on the older '2pg' engine. Please refer to the E-Z-GO 1988 Carburetor offered in this section if you have the older '2pg' engine."
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

From what i understand i fuel pump delivers fuel by pulsation? I've pulled the line and checked for flow, i have flow but im not sure if its enough. By no means does fuel come flowing out of there with excessive flow, im not sure if there is a way to measure the amount of flow. Does it have fuel, yes. Is it enough, i have no idea? Also i would like too bbq my exhaust just to be safe, But have no idea how to?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Gas should spurt out several inches healthy, and strong.

Have you been mixing 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas? If you are, a bbq shouldn't be necessary. Disconnect the pipe first to see how it runs.

If a disconnected exhaust fixes the problem, then you remove the muffler, and throw it into a fire for several hours.

Check your fuel supply first. Low flow from the pump could be ripped diaphragm in the pump, or worn crankshaft seals.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the fuel pump, it runs better, but still goes about the same distance than bogs and wont rev. Also i noticed a crack in my exhaust header, (im going to weld it) but sometimes it pours raw fuel out the crack? Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You haven't answered my question about how much oil you are mixing with your gas, and you haven't said anything about removing the exhaust pipe.

I need feedback before we can continue.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
1970buick
Gone Wild

I just had the same revving up and then bogging down/cutting out issue. It ended up being something in the bowl of the carb and when cleaned out it is running great. My fuel would spurt out of the fuel line but the clogged carb was starving it. Good luck
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I agree with cart around.Many times checking all other kinds of things on two strokes and it turned out to be a clogged exhaust.I think on a cart that has been running fine and then doesn't the exhaust is one of the first things to look at.Many times the symptoms are running up and surging and then not wanting to do much other than idle regardless of throttle position.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

Sorry guys, I have been working late and don't think I should be driving around with my exhaust off late at night lol. But I will unbolt the exhaust today and retest and see what happens. And previous owner said he was like 40:1, but I know it should be like 85:1 to 128:1, I currently run 1 ounce per gallon, but maybe it was over oiled from before...
Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
ctracingraptor
Not Yet Wild

I removed the exhaust, It ran even better but still bogged down and would not respond to the throttle. Only difference I could say was that it traveled further before it bogged. Anything else I should check?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO