lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Convert Excel to IQ (Long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Our customers have hundreds of these solenoids mounted as shown in use. Some for as long as 5-6 years. The failure rate is so low it is almost non-existent. I don't want everybody who has one mounted vertically to panic
I read that also from the Alltrex cut sheet but with limited space I mounted vertically, I drive off road and rough terrain and haven't had issues (knock on wood). The paper work that it came with didn't mention mounting in any particular way but Alltrex did. I can't speculate as to why they would want it mounted that way but In my line of work we mounted similar all sorts of ways & I could not conclusively say that the direction of mounting was the cause of any particular issue.
Also for this upgrade the instructions from Curtis said not to use the pre-charge resistor but it did say to use the diode.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...614_121450.jpg

I was able to modify the cover to accommodate the controller, the top section is open but the bottom area is covered.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

My neighbor has a 81 DS he upgraded to a PQ Bandit and 8x6v batteries, never changed any of the 36v solenoids and has been using it for 4 years....

That being said and given the option, I would use the manufactures recommended mounting position. There are many solenoids that say vertical or horizontal, some just say horizontal.

Breaking DC current is harder than AC, so my guess is the "moveable" double contact bar is on top and the springs are compressed when energized. The horizontal mounting probably makes it easier for the solenoid to disengage when powered off since it does not have to lift the weight of the contact bar.

It appears that when used in golf carts and because under normal operation there should be little current flowing thru the solenoid when it disengages, it is not an issue.

Also, I cannot think of any reason to remove the diode, the pre-charge resistor is just from old controller designs...
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When mounted as shown pic#2 pg #1 gravity will help the springs disengage the contact bar

And - your neighbor has very good luck. I too ran one for some time. Most solenoids tolerate over voltage better than under voltage simply due to the lower amperage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #14
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Guess my point was I'm not sure the manufacturer specifies to mount it horizontal, I do agree If they say to then that would be best practice.

http://www.sayoon.com/uploadfile/PDF...D_E_SAYOON.PDF

Here is a datasheet I just found.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car