lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ezgo 4 stroke cdi conversion

so have have a stack of ezgo engine's sitting here and found one with a wire broken at the cdi box and was looking at the prices to replace them and thought i would throw an idea out here and see what you guys think about converting to a chinese 50-250cc cdi unit. I know this has been done in the past to the 2 stroke ez-go's and never thought about it until now , i know a few people have asked about it in the past and i thought i would give it a shot to try and save a few bucks testing engines before i sell them or what ever i end up doing with them so here are some pictures and the way im looking at it it seems straitforward but i wanted to put this up and see first if someone has done this or has any reasons why it would not work , I just happen to have a new chinese atv cdi laying around here somewhere and figured i have nothing to lose other than an expensive coil and pulsar . way i figure is i have a 6 dollar cdi , vs 150 dollar ez-go cdi that i will not get back when selling the engines , now i do have spare ez-go carts but i really dont feel like pulling one out of a cart and if this works we may get lucky and end up with a sticky . now their is one thing I know you have to be careful with these as there are ac and dc setups , we will be focusing on dc as in the without battery unit for our purposes
http://redcatonline.com/chinese-atv-...s-p-26703.html

if someone can cut and past these for me to the thread i would appriciate it , working on a linux computer right now so i cannot attach them due to some limitations of the system
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: ezgo 4 stroke cdi conversion

1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...chematics.html

Seems like it would work. ANd, the Chinese CDI has a curve more suited to a 4-stroke than the 2, any way.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This would be an interesting situation, as the CDI's can be obtained with either no rev limiter or (I believe IIRC) adjustable limiters ... Somewhere here there is a thread where a Harley Sportster Ignition was used, that's nowhere near as cheap (they're around $100-130) but they have fully adjustable advance and rev limiter so depending on what You did to the engine IE valvetrain, intake and exhaust, etc You could set the ignition up accordingly.

Keep us posted on this one, I can't see how the Pulsar could suffer any harm from trying this out - Another thought would be to use a pair of the Cheap Chinese coils at $10ea than the stock one (I've used them on the 2PG drivetrains in the past and at least for the 2-stroke singles they work well)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Edgeman56
Not Yet Wild

Now that is a great idea, I have not been able to figure a way around the rev. limiter. If you get this to work please post your results.
Edgeman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Edgeman56
Not Yet Wild

Just wondering if you gave this a try?? Really tempted to buy a few to play with.
Edgeman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeman56 View Post
Just wondering if you gave this a try?? Really tempted to buy a few to play with.
actually going to be working on this tonite if i can find out what the wire coming out near the pulsar is
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #8
mpyrol
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes this will work on pre-MCI engine. You must use DC cdi box. I decided to use at my own risk and so should you. I have a 01 TXT and after looking at prices on whats left of the OEM part I decided to figure it out. I have about 100 or so miles on my cart with DC CDI box. You need to find one with a harness that works on a 150 scooter. I have one that has adjustable timing on that I have not tried yet but the cheapy DC-GY6-S one works so good I let it work. Eventually I will check timing on it but the kids are riding it regularly over past two weeks and I'm not about to occupy it until the new wears off a little. I tried a GM igniter and it didn't work nearly as well as this one.

These engines have a low current pulsar. Most measure/report less than 2 volts. This could mean a higher voltage with inability to check it accurately. AC CDI boxes and there are many that report to work on the engines, wont. The pulsar for an AC version needs around 150 volts from the magneto and pulsar. DC CDI boxes need a very small voltage. Inside the DC CDI box there is a power supply that steps up the voltage to 150 volts and the second half is much life the ac version. The timing is controlled through the waveform of the pulsar. This adjustable timing cdi box I purchase has a simple 1/8 watt rheostat inline with the signal from the pulsar. I have not tested it yet so I don't know if that will suffice. There is a video floating around that shows the waveform and how small engines have timing advance.

I have to do the variable clutch on this thing, it works just not smooth. When I do I'll post a timing curve.

Brian
mpyrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyrol View Post
Yes this will work on pre-MCI engine. You must use DC cdi box. I decided to use at my own risk and so should you. I have a 01 TXT and after looking at prices on whats left of the OEM part I decided to figure it out. I have about 100 or so miles on my cart with DC CDI box. You need to find one with a harness that works on a 150 scooter. I have one that has adjustable timing on that I have not tried yet but the cheapy DC-GY6-S one works so good I let it work. Eventually I will check timing on it but the kids are riding it regularly over past two weeks and I'm not about to occupy it until the new wears off a little. I tried a GM igniter and it didn't work nearly as well as this one.

These engines have a low current pulsar. Most measure/report less than 2 volts. This could mean a higher voltage with inability to check it accurately. AC CDI boxes and there are many that report to work on the engines, wont. The pulsar for an AC version needs around 150 volts from the magneto and pulsar. DC CDI boxes need a very small voltage. Inside the DC CDI box there is a power supply that steps up the voltage to 150 volts and the second half is much life the ac version. The timing is controlled through the waveform of the pulsar. This adjustable timing cdi box I purchase has a simple 1/8 watt rheostat inline with the signal from the pulsar. I have not tested it yet so I don't know if that will suffice. There is a video floating around that shows the waveform and how small engines have timing advance.

I have to do the variable clutch on this thing, it works just not smooth. When I do I'll post a timing curve.

Brian
Interesting. I got the MCI engine to run good using an old Ford Dura Spark 2 module but the timing was too high and it kicked back when cranking after it warmed up. These HEI systems people claim that will work don't have timing advance either and I found after they get warm the timing is too high also.
I have been working on a way to make these run and have timing advance. HEI and the Ford Module just don't hack it.
Your way seems like the plan.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:11 PM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Talk about a coincidence! I have been looking into this possibility over the last couple of weeks myself. The only thing that made me start thinking this through was that during research on another project, I discovered that Ezgo used cdi system on some two strokes, then changed to TCI on the four strokes. I then wondered due to the differences between MCI and pre MCI if EZGo had gone back to CDI on the MCI ignition. This would then maybe explain why the two systems were not compatible with each other. The other thing that keeps going through my mind is if this is why some cools are burning up as true CDI pulses a coil at between 200 to 400 volts at low amps, unlike TCI and conventional systems that pulse the coil at 12 volts. It may also explain the huge difference in pulser impedance between the two engines and why the coils appear to be cross compatible only one way. This needs some physical testing to confirm as I cannot seem to get any true details about the two systems apart from what we can measure. I am pretty sure the MCI is still TCI, but I have no way of checking. The confusing part is that all modern forums and the like use the term CDI for both types these days.

I am assuming that the reference to DC over AC is the same as saying TCI over CDI.

I need to do more research I think. LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO