lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 G3 Charging issue...please help diagnose

My grandfather brought me his 1986 g3 sun classic gas cart to see if I could fix it. he also brought me a spare starter/generator that he was told was a good working generator. I am not good with electrical issues but told him I would try to figure it out. I have checked all fuses and all are good. the cart has a new voltage regulator on it. after swapping the starter/generator out it is still not charging the battery. I put a multimeter on the voltage regulator while running and read 1.5 volts output and 9 volts input at the terminals. both starter/generators read continuity from f1 to f2 and a1 to a2. does anyone know of some tests that I can do to narrow down the issue? there is a local guy who rebuilds and repairs starters and alternators for vehicles that rebuilt my starter for my Durango a few years ago. im hoping that if something is wrong with these starter/generators that he could fix it. I don't know what the two relays are for that the a1 and a2 are running to but I believe they are forward and reverse relays? thanks for any help you guys can offer and in the meantime I am going to remove all the body grounds and clean them up and make sure they are all good.
ceh1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 1986 G3 Charging issue...please help diagnose

The "charging" part of the starter/generator are the "red/green" wires coming out of the "feild" section. Unplugged they should read about 5 ohms. All other charging will be done thru the wire harness, voltage regulator and battery. Did you buy an aftermarket voltage regulator?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

Thankyou. Im not sure on the regulator. He told me a shop replaced it for him. Between the red and the green wires I am reading 5.4 ohms. So does that tell you it should be working and the problem lies in either the harness or voltage regulator?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:01 AM   #4
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I got to checking the wiring with the wiring diagram and I got under the cart to check continuity from the stop switch wires to where the red wire is fused before the battery. Then I noticed that on the underside of the cart beneath the brake pedal the wiring had a male and female connection that was undone. The female side had continuity to the fused red wire just before the battery. Would this be causing it not to charge?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

I hooked those wires together but the battery is only showing 11.8 volts when running. That means its still not charging right?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

does anyone know where I can find what ohm readings the f1 to f2 and a1 to a2 should be on the generator?....I started the cart and then pulled off the positive cable on the battery and the cart kept running which tells me the magneto is good, but then measuring dc voltage from neg battery terminal to the positive cable(unhooked from battery) I read 0 volts.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If the cart is currently starting, the "A" & "F" circuits are fine (the battery cable sized connections). Your problem lies in the "field excitation" circuit (the regulator, its power, or its small wires to the generator).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

It does have a hitachi regulator...I tried adjusting it but couldnt get for than 8 volts at d+....its really corroded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150816_210832.jpg (205.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm thinking that regulator needs to go back to the bottom swamp it came from. Those things dont last forever, and water inside sure aint gonna help it. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a regulator. Just be happy its not the $200+ G5 regulator (which i convert to the one you have). Lucky for you, no conversion needed, plug & play and lots cheaper than that.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
ceh1467
Not Yet Wild

Ordered a new one last night. Hope it fixes the problem. ...thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha