lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Oil Light on, oil level full

For the first time in nearly 16 years of ownership the oil light came on today. The oil level is correct on the dip stick but is dark and probably would appreciate being changed. The schematic shows an 'oil level gauge' which I assume is a sensor of some kind. I thought this engine had a 'splash' type oil distribution not a pressure pump.

What does the 'oil level gauge' measure? Is it trying to tell me that the oil is low or that it needs changing?

No, I haven't read the owners manual but will go do that now. It only says to add oil if level is low.

I will change the oil in the morning but what else could turn on the oil light?
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Oil Light on, oil level full

The light is for level only. You are correct--splash lube, not pressure. The sensor may be messed up-- change the oil, and maybe the light will go out. If it doesn't, remove the bulb. Changing the sensor involves disassembling the engine, and it's just not worth the effort.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

New oil tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The oil level "float switch" is likely gummed up. If an oil change and a good ride dont fix it, you can verify its the switch (not a problem in the wire harness) by unplugging the sensor at the back of the motor (between the front clutch and the rear clutch, just below the starter generator pulley, blue wire if i recall).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

I will report back on the oil change.

Love the Ohm's Law wheel. Went through basic Electronics in 1963.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
ez-ha
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

When I had my G16 engine apart to rebuild it I found my oil light "float switch" was SO gummed up that I doubted it would ever work again (engine was from a salvage yard). Several applications of engine degreaser and carb cleaner later I could feel it moving inside when I shook it up a down vigorously. I flushed it until the cleaner came out "not black" and reinstalled it. It is working fine now and I expect it will continue to.
I would agree that it is too much work to fix by itself for what it is, but since I was in there anyway it made sense to address the issue for me.
ez-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

For ever reason, changing the oil fixed the issue. Happy again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha