lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
badbowtie
Getting Wild

Default building a g1 mini car need some advice

I got the body lowered down were I want it to sit lower than this picture. I am going to build a rear engine cage frame to mount the motor behind the rear axle and should beable to run it that way I hope. I have to relocate the shocks but looks like I will beable to run the drive belt up to the pulley and drive it that way. I am trying to figure out the steering it looks like I need to do a rack and pinion setup about 24.5 inches center to center of tie rod ends. But when I try to look at golf cart rack and pinions nothing gives measurements just application which doesn't help. I have tried to search and can't find any g1 with rack and pinion installs. What kind of ideas or suggestions anybody have I will post some more pictures later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (173.3 KB, 0 views)
badbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: building a g1 mini car need some advice

cart is looking pretty good, try looking up go cart or dune buggy rack and pinion on ebay some have different travel lengths and for the length needed just extend your tie rods, make your own sleeves or buy longer ones..hope that will help.
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Cool project! Why can't you use stock steering?

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
badbowtie
Getting Wild

I am going to look at stock steering here in a few minutes again but I think the major problem was the pitman arm is not even close to being bent right. I wondered about trying to bend it but think it is cast and I know what will happen.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
badbowtie
Getting Wild

Okay well I didnt look to close at steering yet but I was going to start building a new section off the back of the frame for motor to mount to but that is not looking good know Looks like belt will not clear the rear axle tube. So know I am at a complete loss on what I am going to try next. Here is a couple more pictures. I was figuring this be 2 stroke it would be easy since I could install motor behind and not have any issues and still have reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart1.jpg (234.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart2.jpg (237.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart3.jpg (248.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart4.jpg (246.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

How much clearance would you have (to the trunk lid) if you raised the engine ? The starter/generator can be mounted any where (top or below the engine) as long as you have room, pulley's lined up and a correct length belt and a way to adjust the belt. Still looks (from the one picture with the body on) the rear swing arm will need to be lenghtned to get the wheels centered into the body opening. May need to stretch the main frame to get the front wheels into the center of the body opening also. What is that body modeled after ? Looks kind of like a Corvair. Cool project
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
badbowtie
Getting Wild

I dont think I need to add to the wheelbase at all. Here is some better pictures you can see. I only have about 1" above the spark plug cap to the bottom of the trunk lid. I also think it is like a corvair look alike. I am just not sure about the drive belt since I think belt will rub the top of the axle tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (174.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (185.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (208.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

can a idler pulley be used to change the belt angle
that may also require a longer or shorter belt
or perhaps more then one idler pulley

an other idea would be a jack shaft mounted clutch off the motor

or a raised body to clear a higher motor location
or just raise the trunk only for a higher motor
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

front looks like a karmann ghia type 34
https://www.google.com/search?q=karm...r9Q5LTNWrA4%3D

rear ??
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
badbowtie
Getting Wild

I was kind of thinking idler pulley to help the belt clear the axle tube but was not sure if you could do that the way these clutches work. But if that is a option I can make this work again. Does anybody have a site with different belt lengths as options when it comes time to figure that out or if that needs to be considered before I make engine mounts. Kind of does look like gia front I will post a picture of back to show you that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha