lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha Drive carb / air filter issue

Hope you guys can help a new, novice member.

I have a 2012 Yamaha YDRA Drive that I bought about a year ago "offlease". The cart ran fine last summer and was serviced (filters, plugs, etc) when I bought it. As weather turned colder it became difficult to start and it acted as if it was not getting fuel. If choked it would run for a few seconds and stop. A service tech came out and found a blockage in the vacumn line to the fuel pump. Cleaned that up and ran fine again for a few weeks.

Well the problem returned. I checked the vacumn line and it was working fine. During the process of looking at possible issues I removed the air cleaner lid and air filter. The cart was still cold natured but ran fine with both off. Found out cart ran with pre filter left in but air filter removed and lid closed. I did also check air intake for obstructions. The air filter that was in there looked brand new, I have ordered a new one to try that.

Anyone have any ideas as to other possible causes and remedies? Thanks for your help.

Bob
Bob's Cay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Drive carb / air filter issue

Try removing and cleaning the carberator. In cooled/damp weather, the wonderfull Ethenol in the gas can partially plug the pulsar line. We have had good luck switching to synthetic oil for that problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Smallblock.

I have been using ethenol free rec 90 fuel in the cart but do not use large volume of fuel. Most of my use is for less than 5 minutes at a time. Did run some Yamaha Ringfree from my outboard in one recent fill up.

The carb was "cleaned" but I doubt removed by the service tech last fall. Was thinking about running some Seafoam through in the next tank.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I have experienced better performance using an OEM Yamaha air filter, instead of an aftermarket one...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I have experienced better performance using an OEM Yamaha air filter, instead of an aftermarket one...

I have experienced "dusted" motors from poor fitting aftermarket filters allowing the engine to eat dirt... Like he said, avoid the filters with black rubber seal (aftermarket), the correct filter has a orange rubber seal with "orangish" paper.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

The air filter that was in there was the orange type. Ordered a new one from Amazon and will check on it tomorrow!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
PasoPete
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

black rubber seal ?

Last edited by PasoPete; 02-29-2016 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: better to send this one private
PasoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

First pic (orange with orange pleats) is OEM filter (late G22-current, earlier had blue rubber/white pleats).
Second pic (black surround) is china unknown origin, never sold that way by yamaha.

The rubber seal quality & media quality IS different. I would reject the second filter, based on my experience of poor seal/ rubber decay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th(3).jpeg (7.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg th(4).jpeg (15.0 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
Bob's Cay
Not Yet Wild

Well the filter came in from Amazon and it had the blue seal. Worked fine when engine was warm but had same problem when cold.

I checked the suction line to the fuel pump (at pump end) and did not get good suction. To try and clear line blew into it. Could feel some blockage that cleared with little pressure. Could hear the oil bubble or slosh. Cart did run better.

Any tips on how to get air filter off? Can easily get to the back bolts, but the ones under the box on the carb are more difficult. Do you have to reach from underneath the cart?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yes. A 12mm wrench or socket/ratchet will get the nuts off from under the car. We have also seen good results with pulsar lines getting clogged in cold damp weather buy using compressed air (blowing it back into the crankcase) and changing the oil to pure synthetic.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha