lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #11
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Starter doesn't crank on compression stroke

I measured it at the battery terminals. SandbaggerYDRA, I think I'm going to have to do what you suggested and undo the factory cable bundling to look at each wire separately. Ugh. Thanks for the suggestion.
When I got the cart, I noticed someone had removed the 10 amp fuse and inserted a jumper wire. I replaced it and so far it hasn't blown.
csharuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delayed response. Somehow my reply did not get posted. Anyway, I measured at the battery posts. I've been so tired of dealing with this cart that it's been sitting on the "To do" list. Well, I'm going to take another look today and see if I can find where this high resistance is coming from. That mean unbundling the factory wiring.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Seeing that your battery has been tested as ok, another trouble spot (suggested by sandbagger) is to check the cleanliness of the two battery terminal clamps. The battery is new, so the posts should be ok. The terminal clamps have a tendency to develop a black coating inside that seems to offer resistance to current flow. The insides of the clamps should be cleaned thoroughly before reconnecting firmly to the battery posts. Also, a drop of oil on the clamp nut and screw is helpful in obtaining a good connection.

I had a similar experience that baffled me for a while. The problem turned out to be a cracked terminal clamp. The nut on the clamp was extremely tight and seemed secure, but because of the crack (which was difficult to see) there was insufficient pressure to make a good connection. I put a new repair clamp on the cable and the problem was gone. Good luck - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 07-17-2016 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: made correction
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the junction where the copper wire meets the clamp is a trouble spot. i have fixed several by just replacing the terminal end. the copper wire looks ok, the lead end looks ok, but good connection isnt made inside.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Connection at battery is tight but drops to 9 volts? Just put a battery in it, these systems are not that complicated.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #16
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delayed response. I responded twice but none were posted.

So today I took off all the factory wiring harness sheathing and plastic tubing. Tubing. Now where do I begin testing? All the wires look good. I don't know how to determine what is causing the severe amp draw that prevents the engine from turning.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharuki View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. I responded twice but none were posted.

So today I took off all the factory wiring harness sheathing and plastic tubing. Tubing. Now where do I begin testing? All the wires look good. I don't know how to determine what is causing the severe amp draw that prevents the engine from turning.

Well, that's what you need to determine, whether you DO have an excessive current draw or whether you have resistance which is dropping voltage somewhere down the line between your battery and the starter. To find out if you do have resistance in the line, you can use a voltmeter. To see if there is a problem, you can start by putting the negative lead of the voltmeter on the positive starter terminal, and the positive voltmeter lead on the positive battery terminal, and operate the starter. In a perfect world, you should not see any voltage reading. But it's likely that you will see some deflection of the meter. But it should be less than 2 volts. If it's higher than that, you have a resistance. To find out where the resistance is, start walking the voltmeter's negative lead from the post on the starter, back through the leads to the solenoid, and other connections. The point where your voltage finally drops, will tell you where the problem is. The lead between the low voltage reading and the higher reading is the bad lead (or connection). If it's the solenoid, that's an easy replacement as well.

You will also have to repeat the test on the negative side of the wiring as well, as there can be loose ground connections as well.

If all of your connections check out ok, and the voltage is still dropping at the battery, try another battery. If that drops down (and/or the fuse blows), it's likely that you have a problem in the starter itself.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #18
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Unlikely but still possible that it's the starter.this is exactly what was happening to me.took the starter apart cleaned off the fouling put it back together and it work for a while then happened again. replaced the brushes and cleaned communicator and has been working great ever since won't cost you anything to clean it and try just my two cents.
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

This will be my 4th attempt to reply to your posts.

anyhow, I uncovered and the factory bundling tape and could not see any damage. I don't know where I should be testing to find the culprit of this heavy
voltage draw.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #20
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

What are the chances I bought new but faulty starter?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha