lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
Black Hole
Not Yet Wild

Default Bucking at start from stop: Battery or other issue

I've read other posts related to similar issues, but I haven't found one exactly like this.

I need help diagnosing a problem with my 2011 EZ GO TXT 48V with mixed 2013 and 2015 Trojan batteries.

When not on a full charge (but still reading 48.2 volts at the moment), I start to experience a "bucking" or "surging" once or twice at start from a stop or a slow roll. The feeling is similar to a car very low on gas surging at a hard start and it will buck once or twice and then accelerate to full speed (18-19 mph) with no issue. If I accelerate slowly to top speed, I have no issue. The bucking is only at low speed, when depressing the accelerator quickly (all or close to all the way).

I've ensured that I'm not low on water in any batteries. I realize the batteries could be the issue as a couple are old and I anticipate replacing all of them next year, but I don't want to drop $500ish right now only to find that it's something else. If I charge the batteries completely and/or regularly top off the charge, I don't seem to have an issue.

Any ideas?

Bad battery?
Solenoid?
Switch?

Thanks in advance.
Black Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bucking at start from stop: Battery or other issue

If you have a DVM check each battery while taking a ride. I would say one or more of your batteries are bad.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ditto. Sounds like your low voltage cut off is kicking in under hard acceleration. If you have a battery going bad or is bad you need to do something fairly quick. Usually the bad battery will start boiling over and loosing fluid which creates space for hydrogen. One spark in the battery is a bad thing..

See attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery.jpg (473.9 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Black Hole
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'm looking for a set of batteries in the very near future.

I'll figure out a way to test the voltage under load. While at rest, I do have one battery that consistently sits 1-2 tenths of a volt lower than all the others....I suspect that it's that battery.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Black Hole
Not Yet Wild

In the meantime, would it help for me to keep it fully charged? The bucking/surging isn't present when at/near full charge.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I think you have answered your own question but yes, keeping it charged will help. Your cart is your best load tester. make some leads you can clip to your dvm, connect to one battery at a time and load down the cart. Your battery will show itself..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Black Hole
Not Yet Wild

Cool. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
jrwmotorsports
Not Yet Wild

I have the same problem and I replaced three of the batteries the rest of Mall load test good still does the same thing did replacing all the battery solve the problem nobody ever finishes the outcome
jrwmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

48v is dead. Fully charged a 48v pack should read 50.9v when fully charged (depending on battery brand and condition). When you mash the pedal, it pulls max amps and the voltage will drop. Sounds like you may be reaching the minimum voltage for your controller and it's cutting out.

Your batteries may still be toast, but fully charge them and you may get another year or more out of them. Leave them at 50% or less and they'll be complete junk in no time. 48.4v is the 50% State Of Charge and you want to avoid going that low if you can. Good Luck.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

I'm starting to think this is a malfunction of these carts - I have the same cart and this same thing happens often - sometimes not for days - and then a whole lot in one day.

thought it was the controller - then thought it was the FNR switch - then batteries - then key switch..... Definitley annoying but I decided to stop chasing it - chasing issues in these carts is $$$$
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO