lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
M@_
Not Yet Wild

Default New G16 questions

Hi,
Great site!

I've got a 98 G16 it runs ok. I followed this thread about setting up the throttle cable. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...e-install.html

How can I tell if the idle speed is above the starter speed? We put around on the cart a lot.

Should I rebuild the carb for good measure? It hesitates off idle to wot.

Can I adjust the idle mixture screw with the intake box on?

I'm looking for a smoother ride. Is the long travel the only lift that uses softer springs? Are the back springs softer too? How well does the rear handle load?

Sorry for the barrage, I swear I searched.
Thanks,
Matt
M@_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: New G16 questions

I noticed nobody has answered and i am not as knowledgable as most on here, but have two G16s, a 97 and a 98. Both are running awesome right now due to help I have gotten from this sight so I will attempt to help if I can.

"How can I tell if the idle speed is above the starter speed? We put around on the cart a lot." I really don't understand this question. Idle? The engine speed should be what you command with the throttle Neither of my G16s idle, they are either moving or off

"Should I rebuild the carb for good measure? It hesitates off idle to wot." I would and did to my second one. I bought a new carb for the first one. Huge difference on both.

Can I adjust the idle mixture screw with the intake box on? Back to idle again, i do not understand. Does it not want to run at low rpm?

Honestly, the biggest improvement to runability and reliability for me was replacing all of the rubber lines with new ones.

I hope it is of some help.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It can be a good idea to set them to idle. Because if someone goes very slow they will run on the starter and trash the battery. If it idles then it will be running and thus not moving on the starter. Before you do this you must make sure the pedal goes down and starter runs while the carb stays shut. You must have some free play where it starts but the carb stays shut until the pedal is down more, you need an idle spot in the pedal. You may have to adjust the cable maybe the switch.

Just set the idle to nothing and hold the pedal just on, slowly raise the idle speed and when it starts to run you will hear it gain rpm. It only need be a little faster than the starter goes with idle off, that is still a really slow idle, but yes it must be slow or the cart will take off. You also need to set the idle mix while it is idling like that, under whatever load it has, at the speed you set it to. Good idea to lube your clutches too that tends to help stock clutches to not take off at idle rpm.

I'd start by cleaning the inside of the carb really well and making sure the spacer (black thing carb is bolted to on head) is not cracked from someone overtightening or broken from age. Also make sure the airbox is complete and sealed and no leaks. If you don't have the full airbox you need to hog the main jet out a little or it will never run right. That is also why you need to have everything together when you adjust idle mix and speed. The airbox does affect how it runs.

A lift will make it ride somewhat better, because larger tires will ride better than stock cart tires. If you want a lifted cart to ride better yes it is mostly the stock shocks holding you back. Some people get atv shocks, some get a LT lift that work the best and come with new shocks, some get a dual arm lift and atv shocks and get close to a LT lift ride for less cost. You may want the rear stiffer because the newer articulating rear carts like to lean more when lifted. You will feel the ride of the front more that the rear. You usually need to beef up the rear if you carry weight like rear seat adults or box of dirt, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
M@_
Not Yet Wild

Thanks sho and ED.

I'll get on that cleaning and play with the idle speed. I've gotten the slack added and pumped two shots of grease.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

This is my cart with stock engine idling, it idles a little faster in neutral.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksLJlvY6KA
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
M@_
Not Yet Wild

That helps. The battery died today but in mid adjustment... I threw it on the charger and tightened up the idle screw a lot. It's clear it wasn't actually running when I thought it was. Which explains the hesitation... it wasn't actually running.

I still need to clean the carb and lube the (secondary?) clutch, but I'm moving forward. I have the gaskets for the intake. Maybe early tomorrow I'll clean the carb to be sure that's good.

Thanks again
Matt
Old 07-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What I do is turn the idle mix till it idles really slow and smooth on a hot engine. Then I turn it out a quarter or less more so its richer, but not enough to really affect the idle. If you make it slightly rich it starts most of the time with no choke in summer weather (unless you floor it starting then it wont start as good usually). I just push it 0-25% throttle repeatedly it always started great down to 50F or so.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha