lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Mutated
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Getting Started with a Yamaha G2

I'm new to all of this, and I've been reading for about 2 weeks trying to find the best starting course to upgrade an original 1985 Yamaha G2 I just was given. The original motor needs to be rebuilt, so instead of spending money on a old small motor I'd like to upgrade it to something a little more robust. The trouble is the manual for it doesn't tell me much about the motor. It doesn't really say things that seem to matter when looking for a new motor (what's the spindle diameter, or how long does the shaft have to be, does it turn counter clockwise?). Maybe motors are universal, I'm very new to this, and just can't find the answers...I just don't want to buy parts and find out I purchased the wrong thing.

To sum things up I'm looking to upgrade the motor (a buddy has a Briggs and Stratton Model 350447 Type 1012-E1 Code 97100611), a lift 6" lift kit, and put large tires on it (But what size is the best?). Is there a posting on here, or does anyone know a good place to start from?
Mutated is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Getting Started with a Yamaha G2

Many people put clones in them, they start at about 15hp and are low cost. Look in the clones section under big block. You can put other engines in too, whatever you want or want to budget for. The lifted carts section is mostly about lifts, but people here know that too. Certain engines you can modify because they race them, those can be the best you can make them run better even if you don't go crazy. For example you can get rev kits that let them rev more safely, some engines you can't get that for.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Mutated
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I looked at the clones, but the problem is there's no vendors in Canada that sell the clones. The shipping and duty make the motor cost more then buying a brand name. This is why I need to know what's the most compatible without having to chop a part the existing frame, or buy a ton of extra parts because I bought the wrong thing.

For example, could I use the Briggs and Stratton (Model 350447 Type 1012-E1 Code 97100611) motor, and what would I need extra to make it fit?

Thanks for all your help with this, it's tough being a newbie ;)
Mutated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW!

Check here for some ideas on what you will need.

>>http://www.cartpartsplus.com/perform...e-upgrade-kits

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think it's time to do more reading in this section! http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-block-talk/
Move down the page below the initial thread headers and start reading all the posts about Briggs and Stratton if that's the engine your thinking about. As you read thru you'll pick up little pieces (Sometimes big pieces) of the puzzle in each thread you read. I learn so much more by reading thru than trying to ask questions....... lots of people have lots of opinions and it can get staggering.

I'd also suggest you do as I do and keep a file with everything that you find useful so that you won't have to try and remember it all. This will give you something to fall back on when you start your build.

Also, even if something works great for one person it may not for another for any number of reasons. So, take thoughts and ideas with a grain of salt and keep reading and collecting up the ideas. The last thing you (And most others) want to do is spend a bunch on stuff that won't do what you want/expect it too do. So get a list of things you want to do with the cart figured out, a list of things you want/need too do to the cart to achieve the items above and then make a good, rock solid plan of all the parts and pieces that you'll need too achieve both.

So read a lot and first figure out what engine will be the easiest swap for a new guy yet still make your cart what you want and go from there. But as I said, get a good plan established before you buy your first part....... as the last thing anyone wants too do is get carried away and spend money and time on things that will in the end be a waste for your intended outcome or just not work at all.

After the plan is established then start asking the questions that you haven't been able to find any answers for.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha