lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
bigal0043
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 won't run

Got a 83 g1 golf cart the other day. If I push the peddle in the motor turns over and after about 45 seconds it will eventually start firing and allows you to drive it both in forward and reverse and runs very well. But once you stop and then try to use it again it won't run, just turns over.

Brand new battery.

Air filter is clean and air filter hose are tight

Cleaned the carb, the fuel bowl was clean and full of fuel, also adjusted the carb to 1 1/2 turns

Pulled the plug and it after trying to start it and it's dry, so I am leaning to a fuel issue. Tested spark and it's strong

Took the reeds off all looked clean nothing bent.

Haven't done compression test yet.

If it was crank seals would I see oil on one or both sides of the engine?

Haven't checked the fuel pump but saw how to test that on another post.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigal0043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 won't run

Normally on these you can't see if crankseals are out until you dig into them a little bit I'd check fuel up and if the carts new to you or crank seals haven't been done in 5 years I'd definitely look into doing them bad seals will hurt your motor
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Still check it but your compression is probably ok as it runs good after starting that first time. You may wany to bypass the "delay start" relay on the passenger rear fender. Just join the white wires on either side of the relay together. Mine went bad and the cause was that the relay wouldnt work right when the cart was warm.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
bigal0043
Not Yet Wild

Compression is 120psi so I would think that is acceptable. I'll order the crank seals and swap them out for the $20

Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

To me if it was fuel pump it would be a running issue not starting issue try unhooking the exhaust and see if it fires up after time they do get plugged up and need to be bbq out (check the stickys) if it fires up right away the exhaust is your issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
bigal0043
Not Yet Wild

Crank seals will show up tomorrow, but started to take apart, on the flywheel side the seal is trashed, oil all over. Have a good feeling once I swap both sides it will fire right up.

Also threw the muffler into a bon fire using the gas from the gas tank.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
bigal0043
Not Yet Wild

Replaced both crank seals, new spark plug and put back together. Ran great, but after a little while if I stopped and then started it back up I had to use the choke to get it to fire.

When I had cleaned the carb I put the screw at 1 1/2 turns, should I try it at like 1 3/4?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
SKETSKI
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

With stock air filter try 1 1/4 make sure you carb is clean and no air is getting in any where. You can spray carb cleaner all around the carb if it revs then theirs air leak.
SKETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal0043 View Post
Replaced both crank seals, new spark plug and put back together. Ran great, but after a little while if I stopped and then started it back up I had to use the choke to get it to fire.

When I had cleaned the carb I put the screw at 1 1/2 turns, should I try it at like 1 3/4?

Sure, you can open your mix screw some. Generally, 1 1/2 is just the standard starting point.

You may want to replace the fuel pump. Pretty much any 3 line vacuum pump will work on these carts.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
bigal0043
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKETSKI View Post
With stock air filter try 1 1/4 make sure you carb is clean and no air is getting in any where. You can spray carb cleaner all around the carb if it revs then theirs air leak.

Wouldn't this cause a leaner condition? If having to choke it causes a rich condition that's why I was thinking of allowing more gas in. Or am I thinking backwards on how many turns backing the screw changes conditions.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha