lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
13jgolden
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 ezgo rxv limp mode

I have a 2008 ezgo rxv cart, it is a 48 volt electric. All batteries are good, has new bake, and heat seat ohm checks out in the motor. It does have the danaher controller. It acts like it is in limp mode and will just creep. Any one seen this before?
13jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 ezgo rxv limp mode

Probably your Bearing Encoder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ENCODER-RXV MOTOR ENCODER BEARING.pdf (36.2 KB, 0 views)
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
13jgolden
Not Yet Wild

That is kind of what I was leaning towards too probably gonna purchase a diagnostic tool I normally don't deal much with rxvs
13jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13jgolden View Post
That is kind of what I was leaning towards too probably gonna purchase a diagnostic tool I normally don't deal much with rxvs
I doubt you'll want to spend that much $ for a handset unless you intend to work on a lot of Danaher RXVs. The symptoms match the diagnosis by usgicollector.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
revere04
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I replaced the Encoder bearing and this did not resolve my issue on my 2008 EZ-GO RXV.

New Parts:
1. Batteries
2. Encoder Bearing

Before Encoder:

1:I was able to go in reverse without limp, but forward would give a grinding noise and limp.

2: The Voltage meter on the front would go from full to 1/2 to almost empty never giving a true reading

3. Charging the cart blinks but when complete does not show any lights, just stops blinking.

Now that the new bearing is installed.

1:I am UNABLE to go in reverse without limp, no grinding now going forward but it just limps. NOTE: if I turn off the cart and let it sit for a bit it will go forward about 50ft and then boom right back to limp mode.

2: The Voltage meter on the front is doing the same : go from full to 1/2 to almost empty never giving a true reading

3.Still happening Charging the cart blinks but when complete does not show any lights, just stops blinking.

Any advise I would appreciate as I am lost as to what the problem could be.
revere04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by revere04 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I replaced the Encoder bearing and this did not resolve my issue on my 2008 EZ-GO RXV.

New Parts:
1. Batteries
2. Encoder Bearing

Before Encoder:

1:I was able to go in reverse without limp, but forward would give a grinding noise and limp.

2: The Voltage meter on the front would go from full to 1/2 to almost empty never giving a true reading

3. Charging the cart blinks but when complete does not show any lights, just stops blinking.

Now that the new bearing is installed.

1:I am UNABLE to go in reverse without limp, no grinding now going forward but it just limps. NOTE: if I turn off the cart and let it sit for a bit it will go forward about 50ft and then boom right back to limp mode.

2: The Voltage meter on the front is doing the same : go from full to 1/2 to almost empty never giving a true reading

3.Still happening Charging the cart blinks but when complete does not show any lights, just stops blinking.

Any advise I would appreciate as I am lost as to what the problem could be.
The fact that one direction would work without limp indicates that the bearing encoder was not at fault. Functionality is the same in both directions, with a phase shift between the two outputs letting the controller know the direction.

I would suspect the motor brake initially, but it seems you have more than one issue. The motor brake is dragging (the grinding noise), causing you to burn through power more quickly. This is causing overheat of the motor stator windings, and the controller output stage, resulting in limp mode. The motor temperature sensor embedded in the stator windings is doing its job. I suspect that the controllers motor brake output FET may not be working to unlock the brake, or you have a bad brake pedal switch, or a open in the motor brake harness wires. Search the forum for those terms to find the appropriate troubleshooting giudes. More than likely, you cart still has the original Danaher controller. They were problematic, so E-Z-GO switched to the Curtis controller in late feb of 2012. The Danaher controllers are obsolete and typically more expensive used than a used or remanufactured Curtis controller.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
revere04
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Everyone,

One of my buddies brought over a Battery Hydrometer today and determined one of the brand new batteries were bad. Another friend had his volt meter and the meter showed Volt over 11 but the battery cells itself was bad "according to the hydrometer".

After installing the new battery, the cart is driving as expected. If anything changes I will post to this thread as a follow up.

please note: I used another friends EZ-go charger which had a blinking code of 2 flashing red dots every few seconds, and this led us right to the bad battery. I believe it read Battery Fault Voltage or something like that.

Thanks for the reply BobBoyce !!
revere04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by revere04 View Post
Hi Everyone,

One of my buddies brought over a Battery Hydrometer today and determined one of the brand new batteries were bad. Another friend had his volt meter and the meter showed Volt over 11 but the battery cells itself was bad "according to the hydrometer".

After installing the new battery, the cart is driving as expected. If anything changes I will post to this thread as a follow up.

please note: I used another friends EZ-go charger which had a blinking code of 2 flashing red dots every few seconds, and this led us right to the bad battery. I believe it read Battery Fault Voltage or something like that.

Thanks for the reply BobBoyce !!
A bad battery would account for the poor performance. The motor brake has issues with low voltage not allowing it to release fully. I'm glad you have it going now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO