lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
MPDano
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1986 G3 Forward Solenoid went bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
Hello all,

My forward solenoid went bad. I see the new replacement. All the posts seem to match except I need to crimp on a different connector on the small wire.

The site I am looking at says that I would need to replace both. I don't see the reason why. Any thoughts?

I attached pics of my current solenoids and the new one I haven't ordered yet.
Well, I guess it's true that you need this new solenoid in pairs. Tried every combo and no-go. Time to buy a 2nd one.
MPDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
MPDano
Not Yet Wild

Solenoid purchased. Carb soaking in Berrymans with the rebuild kit in the ready.

Drained fuel tank and installed new fuel filter. Put some oil in the cylinder and installed a new spark plug.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
MPDano
Not Yet Wild

Carb rebuilt, installed plug. Awaiting solenoid and ready to start it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180401_144650.jpg (121.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180401_144701.jpg (174.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180401_144708.jpg (141.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180401_144727.jpg (134.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180401_155910.jpg (196.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
Well, I guess it's true that you need this new solenoid in pairs. Tried every combo and no-go. Time to buy a 2nd one.
i don't see there being an issue using one new and one old other than the other probably isn't far behind. i know i seen others here replace just one.Make sure your cables going from the battery to the starter generator and from there to the solenoids are good and clean. the stock cable ends are steel and corrode which makes poor connections. also make sure your battery is good and fully charged. the key switch in the g1 can cause some issues also, not sure if your (g3) key switch is the same.

did you try swapping the small wires on your old solenoids to see if it would crank both ways?

heres a link to a g1 service manual which may help. if it uses the same engine and drive train i would assume the wiring would be the same.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html

also perform the starter generator test. Heres a link to one listed for the Harley 2 stroke carts but it is the same for the Yamaha 2 stroke as well. i like the visual on this and the test listed in the Yamaha section the picture no longer works.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...generator.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #15
MPDano
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
i don't see there being an issue using one new and one old other than the other probably isn't far behind. i know i seen others here replace just one.Make sure your cables going from the battery to the starter generator and from there to the solenoids are good and clean. the stock cable ends are steel and corrode which makes poor connections. also make sure your battery is good and fully charged. the key switch in the g1 can cause some issues also, not sure if your (g3) key switch is the same.

did you try swapping the small wires on your old solenoids to see if it would crank both ways?

heres a link to a g1 service manual which may help. if it uses the same engine and drive train i would assume the wiring would be the same.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html

also perform the starter generator test. Heres a link to one listed for the Harley 2 stroke carts but it is the same for the Yamaha 2 stroke as well. i like the visual on this and the test listed in the Yamaha section the picture no longer works.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...generator.html
I tried all different ways in hooking it up. I can get it to move forward but it's like it's all the time moving without the pedal. Then hooking it up different ways, it does nothing. Generator is fine as I can get it to move both ways. Battery is new.

I'm not electrical saavy. I already ordered a 2nd solenoid.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

wait is your engine turning over both directions and just not starting in one direction?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
MPDano
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
wait is your engine turning over both directions and just not starting in one direction?
Ok, let me backup at bit. Before I bought the new solenoid, it just turned over in reverse (key). In forward (key), I can hear a faint click on the forward solenoid, but nothing on movement from the starter.

Hence why I ventured into buying a new solenoid (Rodgers). The sellers webpage stated that I need to buy 2. I figured I could try and get it to work on 1 since only 1 is bad (forward).

In one of my configurations on the new solenoid, the starter rolled forward in any position on the key "and" without touching the foot pedal. My assumptions are that the internals of the new solenoid are incompatible in working in conjunction with the old working (reverse) solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha