lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default JR3 engine issue -

Ok, so I purchased a few project carts, one of which has a JR3 engine. It was said to be bad but no specifics given. I have tried to start it and have verified the following..

It spins over well, sounds as it should (no clanks, clunks, knocks, etc.)

It has spark. Plug looks fine, not oil soaked, etc.

Carb is of unknown condition but I tried a small shot of ether as well as a little gas poured in the carb.

With the spark plug out, I can hold my thumb over the hole and it will not push it off. (I need to secure a compression tester).

The breather box does appear to have some oil in it.

Other than seeing if compression is my issue, any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: JR3 engine issue - help please

Pull valve cover off and make sure valve isn't stuck open and everything is in place
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
1arunem
Gone Wild

Ok, new info... got a cheap compression tester and it goes to around 30-40 lbs spinning motor over with S/G..

I pulled valve cover and both valves seem to be moving up and down as they should. Lash is within tolerance..

However, I spun the motor over with the valve cover off and can feel compression coming through the valve area (evident with cover off). Leads me to believe oil in breather was pushed through this area and through the hose leading to the air filter box.

Valve seals/bent valve? What would be the next best logical step? Pull head?

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Dump a little oil down the spark plug hole and recheck compression generally if it goes up it's a valve issue if it stays the same it's a ring/cylinder issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: JR3 engine issue -

Will do and report back. If it is a ring/cyl issue would it still have compression coming through to the valve cover area?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Could be a blown head gasket. Any oil/dirt present around the shrouding?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Will do and report back. If it is a ring/cyl issue would it still have compression coming through to the valve cover area?
It certainly can. Think of it this way: Piston moving down in the cylinder causes suction in the combustion chamber. With the intake valve open that suction draws in the fuel / air mix. As the piston moves back up in the cylinder and the intake valve closes it causes compression. If the seal between the rings and the cylinder wall is compromised, that compression will be able to push past the rings into the crankcase / oil chamber.

Another possibility is that it's not really compression your feeling. Keep in mind that the crankcase is constantly back and forth between vacuum and pressure: vacuum as the piston goes up & pressure as the piston comes down. That's what provides the "pulse" that makes the fuel pump work.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
1arunem
Gone Wild

Spun it over again and same results with gauge.. Poured some oil in the cylinder and gained about 25-30psi..
Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
1arunem
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Could be a blown head gasket. Any oil/dirt present around the shrouding?
No oil noted.. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as dirt.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
1arunem
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
It certainly can. Think of it this way: Piston moving down in the cylinder causes suction in the combustion chamber. With the intake valve open that suction draws in the fuel / air mix. As the piston moves back up in the cylinder and the intake valve closes it causes compression. If the seal between the rings and the cylinder wall is compromised, that compression will be able to push past the rings into the crankcase / oil chamber.

Another possibility is that it's not really compression your feeling. Keep in mind that the crankcase is constantly back and forth between vacuum and pressure: vacuum as the piston goes up & pressure as the piston comes down. That's what provides the "pulse" that makes the fuel pump work.

Didn't think of that. Makes good sense.. I did notice while spinning it over it takes a few seconds before I hear it through the v/c area.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha