lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Starter/Solenoid issue

Working with a 1999 G16.

When depressing pedal, I get no response from the starter/generator.

With pedal depressed, at the solenoid I have power at the large lug on the battery side, I also have power at both smaller terminals. However, nothing on the large lug on the starter/generator side.

I swapped the solenoid with a known good one from a 1998 model and same issue. I also swapped relays and checked the fuse.

I can 'jump' the solenoid across both large lugs and get the starter/generator to turn over?

Typically I would think the solenoid was bad but I just operated this one(swapped one) on the 1998 model 15 minutes earlier..

Any help is greatly appreciated!
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Starter/Solenoid issue

Have you cleaned all connections? How's the battery? Have you checked the fuse?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
1arunem
Gone Wild

Battery is good. Have full voltage at solenoid so I think connections are good. Just don't understand why I show voltage at solenoid with pedal depressed but not transferring to starter. Like I said, I can jump solenoid and it works...
Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
1arunem
Gone Wild

Ok, new info.. I put the old solenoid, relay, etc on my other cart (1998 ) and it works just fine.

I did notice that with the pedal depressed on it, I am getting power to both large lugs on the solenoid as well as the small lug with the red wire.

On the one that will not engage the starter, with pedal depressed I am getting power to the large battery side lug and BOTH small lugs but not the large starter side lug??

Pedal switch malfunction possibly or other?

Keep in mind I'm a bit of a newbie trying to learn as I go. Any info greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

So you have 12 volts going to the small posts, but the solenoid doesnt activate? That would be a bad solenoid.

If you jump the big posts of the solenoid and the cart cranks over, you know the rest of the system is working- battery, starter, relay and all the connections are correct.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Ok, new info.. I put the old solenoid, relay, etc on my other cart (1998 ) and it works just fine.

I did notice that with the pedal depressed on it, I am getting power to both large lugs on the solenoid as well as the small lug with the red wire.

On the one that will not engage the starter, with pedal depressed I am getting power to the large battery side lug and BOTH small lugs but not the large starter side lug??

Pedal switch malfunction possibly or other?

Keep in mind I'm a bit of a newbie trying to learn as I go. Any info greatly appreciated!!
Follow the ground path of the small terminals on the solenoid. Should NOT have power at both small terminals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf G16A wiring diagram.pdf (317.7 KB, 0 views)
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
1arunem
Gone Wild

Thank you!

I have two solenoids and have tested them both on my other cart and they WORK.. I will start chasing wires! Thanks for the diagram!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
1arunem
Gone Wild

Maybe a silly question but I don't see the starter solenoid on the diagram? Am I missing it?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Is the key switch working correctly? if solenoid works on the other cart I would assume its your wiring, check all the wires going into the plastic plug connectors (wires usually break in those areas), Relay would be your starter solenoid,, good luck..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
1arunem
Gone Wild

I assume key switch is working b/c i get power to the small lugs on the solenoid when it is on and I depress pedal. No power to small lugs when key is off.

Thanks.. Will keep chipping away.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha