lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart dragging and motor temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Make sure brake cable move freely and all parts get lubed according to manual.
Also since cart is lifted check to see if brake cable have free play and are binding/ being stretched due to increased body height.��

Yep, thanks; I have the procedure from the manual ready to go. The cables visually don't seem to be stretched. That being said, I realize there could be something binding internally. I am interested to see what condition this system is in.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #12
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I didn't get to it when I thought I would, but I did finally get the opportunity to do the brakes this afternoon. Quite a bit of life went on this past week...

At any rate, it was definitely time for a brake job! And I found the reason for the dragging sensation occasionally.

There was definitely some deferred maintenance from the previous owner; I'm working my way all the way through the cart as I have the opportunity. On the right rear wheel, there was a wheel lug that was stripped which necessitated a trip to town to attempt to locate a replacement. Much to my surprise, none of the parts stores in town had an exact replacement. I ended up with one that was a bit longer and had a bit of un-threaded post that came through the hub. I made it work, but I believe I will put it on the list of things to change in the near future. On the other wheel, the brake shoes had actually delaminated! The soles had come off the shoes so to speak. I am pretty certain this was binding up with the hub at times and creating the drag I was feeling; not to mention the really lousy braking...

I went through the entire procedure as per the manual. Everything for the most part looked to be in good order. I did notice that the adjusters seemed to have a little play on the tang mechanism that pushes against the adjuster wheel; it didn't seem to want to auto adjust from the fully retracted position. I ended up running it out by hand to the point where I could still get the hubs on with a bit of resistance from the shoes. Once it was that far out, it seemed like it was doing it's job; however, I want to check them further in the near future. The mechanism was completely intact and undamaged, but I feel like there was too much slop where the tang connects to the backer plate. Seems like there may be a way to tighten that up, maybe with a punch on an anvil?

At any rate, I had a hard time tracking down the original lug nuts; even through a search on this site. I did finally get the original part number as well as a Sten's replacement number. I was unable to cross-reference with a Dorman number (this is what most of the local parts stores can reference). The EzGo part number is 19862G1 and the Stens number is 416-720.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes.jpg (103.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #13
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's an "after" shot of the brakes after a cleaning, lube, and a new pair of shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes done cart 1.jpg (140.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO