lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Joepar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New ALLTRAX XTC 48500 PDS controller Error code

2007 EZGO TXT PDS 36 volt
ALLTRAX XCT 48500 pds controller with fan from carts unlimited
Heavy duty solenoid oredered with controller from carts unlimited
July 2018 Trojan T605. 6 volt batteries
Stock dashboard FnR switch
Lifted
22"-11-10 nobby tires
Rear flip seat
Stock motor- Advanced DC AU2500. (7/17/06)
New 2 gauge wire all around, even to the motor.
Each battery has tested to 6.2 volt. Altogether = 37.8 volts

I bought this cart and ran it a few weeks until the controller failed.
After doing a bunch of reading and research I purchased through carts unlimited a ALLTRAX 48500 pds controller with my intention to upgrade my motor at a later time (basically when $ allows)
I installed and connected my computer and decreased the amps to 400 and set.
I reduced the max rpm to 2800 as per motor specs and set.
I tweeted the throttle adjustment a bit for slower controlled starts and set.

I tested with computer attached with rear on jack stands
I did not get any codes or any signs of issues.

After dropping to the ground and doing a live test, I pressed tho pedal and heard a small pop and the diode between the BIG solenoid posts popped. I'm fairly certain I had the diode in correct direction. Stripe to positive battery.
Now I'm getting 1 green 3 red code for battery over voltage.
What do I need to do to correct this issue. I guess I'll go get a new diode for solenoid first.
Joepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New ALLTRAX XTC 48500 PDS controller Error code

I believe the component that gets installed on the high voltage terminals is a resistor which is not directional. The component installed on the small terminals is a diode and is directional. The marked side goes on the positive post.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I looked up Alltrax XCT - someone had XTC on their mind - wiring diagram, and it appears to require a regen diode across the large terminals. I would double check the diode stripe is on pack positive, unless it 'sploded too much to tell.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Joepar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ooopps , My bad on the XCT, my dislexia crisscrosses things like that. And yep it's done and popped the diode
Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Bad joke on my part. I only mentioned it as it's a "fun" drug.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
I believe the component that gets installed on the high voltage terminals is a resistor which is not directional. The component installed on the small terminals is a diode and is directional. The marked side goes on the positive post.
You are providing information for a series drive and the thread is about a sepex drive, which does not have a pre-charge resistor and when when an XCT controller is installed, two diodes are used.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The banded end of regen diode that is installed between the solenoid's large terminals should face the battery side large terminal, the one with the cable that is connected to the main positive terminal on the battery pack.

If installed backwards, there is the possibility it might pop when the pedal is pushed since solenoid contacts bounce a few times before they stay closed and while they are bouncing, the 6A diode would be trying to pass a couple hundred amps.

When installed correctly, the regen diode opposes the amp flow from the battery pack to the motor (via the controller) and passes amps from the motor to the battery pack, aka Regen Braking.

The purpose of the regen diode is to protect the XCT controller from being hit with abnormally high voltage if the solenoid contacts open during regen braking, which is an unlikely event, but something in the solenoid activation circuit could fail at a most inopportune moment in time and take out the controller when only an external wire failed. The diode connects the positive voltage from the motor to the battery pack and keeps it down to whatever the battery pack voltage is instead of letting it skyrocket like what happens to the output voltage of a rapidly spinning generator without a load.

-----------
The regen diode is strictly a protective device and is not needed to operate cart, so something else is wrong.

The 1-3 error code indicates the battery pack voltage is higher the the over voltage slider is set for.

Cut and Paste form XCT manual:

Battery Over Voltage:
B+ Voltage Higher than Over Voltage Battery Setting. Check pack
voltage or program settings

----------
While checking that, you can also up the RPM limit setting to 6000RPM
A stock PDS controller limited motor to 4400RPM in the freedom mode and with a 36V battery pack the max the motor will turn (with stock height tires) is about 5600RPM.

With your 22" tall tires and rear seat, you have little danger of over-revving the stock motor.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Joepar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Jonny. I will try all of this. I found I had the original regent diode backwards. On my paperwork with new HD solenoid there is one direction that says a 250ohm resistor is used for 36 volt. I'm going to steal the one of my old solenoid. ( it has 250ohm printed on it) Hope I don't screw anthing up by doing this.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Joepar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Tested successfully, and first ride went perfect. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepar View Post
Thanks Jonny. I will try all of this. I found I had the original regent diode backwards. On my paperwork with new HD solenoid there is one direction that says a 250ohm resistor is used for 36 volt. I'm going to steal the one of my old solenoid. ( it has 250ohm printed on it) Hope I don't screw anthing up by doing this.
The XCT does not use a Pre-Charge resistor with any voltage battery pack. The pre-charge function is done by J1 Pin-5.

I'd contact Alltrax before installing the resistor for your old solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO