lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Intermittent Electrical Issue

2010 EZGO PDS 36V.

I have a cart that has an intermittent electrical issue, and thought I would see if I could maybe get some suggestions as to what it possibly could be.

Seems like every couple of months the cart will be running fine, and all of a sudden it will just quit. If you let it set for about 10 minutes it will take off and go again, and may run fine for a couple of months before doing it again.

When it quits, I think you can hear the solenoid click when you push the pedal. I do hear a click, not sure if it is the solenoid or what. I can put it into diagnostic mode and there is no code reported.

Checking the repair manual in the stickies, if there is no code reported and the cart will not run, it says to check the wiring to micro switch in the pedal box.

Could a micro switch be intermittent like that or would they just quit working when they fail? Seems like that would be an easy and cheap fix if that is all it is.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.
Bob
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittent Electrical Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
2010 EZGO PDS 36V.

I have a cart that has an intermittent electrical issue, and thought I would see if I could maybe get some suggestions as to what it possibly could be.

Seems like every couple of months the cart will be running fine, and all of a sudden it will just quit. If you let it set for about 10 minutes it will take off and go again, and may run fine for a couple of months before doing it again.

When it quits, I think you can hear the solenoid click when you push the pedal. I do hear a click, not sure if it is the solenoid or what. I can put it into diagnostic mode and there is no code reported.

Checking the repair manual in the stickies, if there is no code reported and the cart will not run, it says to check the wiring to micro switch in the pedal box.

Could a micro switch be intermittent like that or would they just quit working when they fail? Seems like that would be an easy and cheap fix if that is all it is.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.
Bob
When it quits, are you on or off the pedal? Answer could determine if it's a MS. You can keep it in diagnostic mode. I don't think controllers "store" codes, like cars and trucks.

I understand there are people who actually run with partial pedal. No me. Either one pedal or the other is on the floor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
When it quits, are you on or off the pedal? Answer could determine if it's a MS. You can keep it in diagnostic mode. I don't think controllers "store" codes, like cars and trucks.

I understand there are people who actually run with partial pedal. No me. Either one pedal or the other is on the floor.
Same way here! Pedal is all the way or not at all. When it quits the pedal is all the way depressed. It is used only on the golf course. I may pull up to my ball to hit a shot and it will be running fine. After I hit the shot and get back in the cart, MOST of the time it takes off then just quits. Every now and then, when I get back in the cart, it will not move after it had been running fine. I would say the majority of the time it happens when the pedal is all the way to the floor, because that is how I roll!
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

To answer your question on the microswitch, I had a situation where one was only working intermittently. Before I replaced it, I pulled it out and cleaned the contacts and it's been working for a couple of years now.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just to clarify, it sometimes fails to go after being stopped, but it also will stop while running with pedal down? The former I'd say could be a microswitch (MS), but the latter would probably not be a MS. If the solenoid always clicks when it doesn't run - loud click rather than quiet snap by floor - you can probably rule out MSs. It could be any spade connection. On a PDS you have, "charging connector" or reed switch, direction selector, pedal switch, tow switch, and key switch.

Since the controller controls the solenoid, someone else will have to say whether the controller's logic requires all of the above switches to be closed, in order to activate the solenoid.

I'd run in diagnostic mode until the problem happens, and hope for a code.

Sorry if this seems convoluted, but I'm a series guy, and kinda thinking out loud and reviewing the wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pds36v.jpg (115.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
To answer your question on the microswitch, I had a situation where one was only working intermittently. Before I replaced it, I pulled it out and cleaned the contacts and it's been working for a couple of years now.
Is your cart a series? I might do that on a series FNR MS, but the throttle MS is harder to get to, and they're cheap, so I'd probably just replace it. PDSs only have one MS - throttle.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Is your cart a series?
It is. It was the one on the FNR for reverse
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO