lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default have fuel and spark...but stops running

Recently bought a 1999 CC DS Gas fe290. I'm have problems keeping it running. 3 different time in less than a 1/4 mile from cold start., the cart stops running. I have good fuel pump flow and good clean gas new filters, good fuel and vac lines and clean air filter.
The spark plug looks good NGK BP5ES. It has spark when it stops running. It also will pop/back fire when cranking after it stops running. I've check the spark with an inline glass spark checker (while a buddy drives/ I watch the spark...so it does not loose spark.
After the engine dies...crank/crank..crank...it will pop/back fire somewhat..but always has fuel and spark.
After it sits for a few minutes..it will start and try to run (poorly). When it cools down it will do all of the above all over again.
I cleaned out the fuel bowl ( found a little bit of gel crude in there)
The engine has 140lbs compression.
I did take off the ground wire in front of the engine for the REV limiter...but it did not change anything (still stops running (but always has fuel and spark)
I just bought this cart used..you know what they say....someone traded it in for some reason.....well I'm into it now. And I can't walk away from my investment.
Anyone with any ideas please pass them along. Thanks...and thanks for letting me join the group.

Last edited by rustytoolss; 06-02-2019 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: more info
rustytoolss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 AM   #2
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: have fuel and spark...but stops running

My $0.02 is to continue to investigate the carburetor. Take it apart. Clean it well. Blow out the jets. Put it back together.

Put a jar under the fuel pump line. Pump some fuel into the jar to assure there is no gel sitting there awaiting your clean carburetor to gunk it up again.

Change out at least the fuel supply acorn filter.

These are easy to do, though time consuming and annoying, but I think on the right track to getting consistent fuel flow without clogging.

I am having similar issues.
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to take the fuel pump a part and clean it (just because it works, does not mean it's not full of gunk). And I also will clean out the carb (cause I did find gunk in the fuel bowl).
I'm also going to adjust the valve lash setting.
These engine "Should" be simple to work on and not be complicated. Time will tell about that since all the things that I've done have not solved the problem...but it's a process of elimination .
Anyone else with some ideas , please jump in . All opinions that help are welcome
Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep the gas cap loose.. sounds like its vapor locking. .had an old truck and my 4wheeler do this to me.. id unload the atv in the woods get half way down the trail and it just died .. come to find out the vent was clogged with mud .. took the line off and fired right up
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had the "air breather" on the face of the fuel pump so clogged with mud at one time it would not allow the pump to oscillate. Cleaned that with a wire brush.

Maybe I will try to put a new vent into the gas cap...small diameter drill bit should do it I think.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys. I will check the carb/fuel pump/ and tank vents this weekend.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

The gaskets around my fuel pump are "hard" and showed signs of a "white corrosion" build up that allowed those gaskets to suck air into the pump, restricting the fuel pump from working effectively. I used a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and CAREFULLY to not tear the "hard" gaskets, papered the "white corrosion" off of the gaskets and the gasket seats. Then used some Form-a-gasket (sparingly with a tooth pick) to lubricate both sides and close those fugitive air gaps. Getting the corrosion off went smoother than I imagined.

Fuel pump works great now...something else is causing the coughing and sputtering I am experiencing. Staying persistent...
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you test spark when it stops running?
The glass testers may still light up even if the spark is too weak to make the engine run.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
rustytoolss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Did you test spark when it stops running?
The glass testers may still light up even if the spark is too weak to make the engine run.
Yes. it has spark while running. When it stopped running there was spark. As soon as it stopped running ...we cranked it and still had spark. I was watching the spark while a buddy was driving/ so my only job was to watch the tester for spark.
I think I will check it with a timing light also.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
Bizgateway
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had shut off issues w my 2004 DS shortly after take off. Issue turned out to be the gear micro switch falling off the yellow gear switch (under seat immed behind front gear shifter). Just tighten up the gear linkage going to that yellow switch and BINGO problem solved. Move lineage nuts toward the switch to tighten.
Not sure if this may be your issue or not but it was mine! Good luck narrowing this down.
Bizgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car