lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
highwayman42875@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 ezgo txt

I have (mostly) stripped down this cart with a buddy of mine. He was going to remove the motor to clean it out and inspect it but we have been unable to remove it.
Any insider tips or tricks?

I was told by the guy I bought it from that it is 36 V. He used to rebuild carts and is getting out of the business so I assume he is correct.
In looking for a replacement controller box what would be the best/most efficient model? If we can get the motor to work then will rebuild with that motor.
If motor doesnt work was thinking of getting a larger motor and upgrading-would that necessitate a conversion to 48v? Also a different control box?
highwayman42875@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman42875@yahoo.com View Post
I have (mostly) stripped down this cart with a buddy of mine. He was going to remove the motor to clean it out and inspect it but we have been unable to remove it.

I was told by the guy I bought it from that it is 36 V. He used to rebuild carts and is getting out of the business so I assume he is correct.
In looking for a replacement controller box what would be the best/most efficient model? If we can get the motor to work then will rebuild with that motor.
If motor doesnt work was thinking of getting a larger motor and upgrading-would that necessitate a conversion to 48v? Also a different control box?

Here's a great place to learn. He's a frequent contributor and a site supporter. I bought nearly all of the stuff in my sig from him.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:

highwayman, first I want to give you a little advice prior to you buying any parts, then answer a few of your questions.

First.....you need to know which drive system your cart has....then you need to decide what you want your cart to be able to do, how fast? do you want to lift it? put bigger wheels and tires on it?

now for your questions about your motor. as you know there are only 3 long bolts that hold the motor onto the differential. its common for the motor to get "stuck" in the differential case.....after all the case of the motor and the diff. are aluminum and they can corrode together. they are put together with a boss fit which is tight. remove the three bolts, and using a soft face mallet, tap the motor case side to side while supporting it from the bottom. it weighs a bit and you wouldn't want to drop it.

IF your cart/motor is for a SERIES drive system, and is in good shape you can use a 36v motor at 48v if you upgrade the drive system.

AND if you are going to rebuild the cart, and need to buy a new controller, the best thing you could do would be to go ahead and go and bump to 48v.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome - I see you are in good hands already
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Not Yet Wild

Hey Sir Nuke-thanks for the response...I see you are from West Columbia...I used to live in sweeny for a couple of years-been about 20 years ago.

It is a series cart according to the link that was shared in the previous post-dont know if that answers your question about the drive system?
I am going to build it to donate to our local soccer club. They will be transporting people and small materials around on it.

I do have it all stripped down and will be purchasing a new controller and also looks like the other "insides" as well. The main thing is can I upgrade to all new parts at 48 v with the existing motor (if it works?)
If not I can just upgrade and buy new control box, etc. along with a new motor.

I will try to get the motor off with your suggestions when I get a chance...
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome - I see you are in good hands already
I clicked on the link that was provided to your web site earlier...I will probably be contacting you for help on how to upgrade...you may have advice on my most recent post about what type of controller/insides may match a 48v setup (and if the current engine will run 48 v setup)?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
It is a series cart according to the link that was shared in the previous post-dont know if that answers your question about the drive system? Series.
I am going to build it to donate to our local soccer club. They will be transporting people and small materials around on it.

I do have it all stripped down and will be purchasing a new controller and also looks like the other "insides" as well. The main thing is can I upgrade to all new parts at 48 v with the existing motor (if it works?)
If not I can just upgrade and buy new control box, etc. along with a new motor.

I will try to get the motor off with your suggestions when I get a chance...
Thanks!
Sr. Nuke and I have nearly identical setups. I ran mine for years with the stock motor. The only thing to watch for is creeping slowly, overloading as far as weight, and also oversized tires can cause the motor to overheat.

Are the existing batteries shot? Removing the motor may take some tough love. Don't beat it, but you can tap it from side to side with a rubber mallet, wood, or anything besides a metal hammer. Once it's loose, work it side to side until you can remove it. Remove the rotor (spinny part) and clean the commutator, replace the bearing, and inspect brushes. All are covered in the attached service manual:

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf

Don't worry about the year too much, as most things didn't change.

I'd recommend greasing any zerks, inspect battery tray and clean and coat if it's not too corroded. I used truck bed liner, but there are several options out there. Mine's just a little bit older, and I replaced all of the bearings and seals in the rear end. Check brakes and adjust in accordance with the manual. There's a whole chapter on the braking system. Steering may be loose, depending on how many miles it has on it. Since straight is used more often than turning, the center of the rack is usually worn more. You can replace the rack and pinion gears, and there is a king pin bushing that's likely worn. Adjust toe-in.

Will you be adding any 12 volt accessories such as horn, lights, radio? If so, you'll have to decide on a reducer or and aux battery. Pros/cons for either.

That's all I can think of for now.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild

yes-have it all torn down-going to add some iron enforcements where there was some rust on the edges of the undercarriage.
Thanks for the manual links-that will be very useful.
As we talk about 36v vs. 48 v. does that allow you to "run engine" more powerfully?

In other words do I have three options?
1)36v for cart
2) 36 v plus 12v for accessories
3) 48 v. for cart?
Old 06-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
yes-have it all torn down-going to add some iron enforcements where there was some rust on the edges of the undercarriage.
Thanks for the manual links-that will be very useful.
As we talk about 36v vs. 48 v. does that allow you to "run engine" more powerfully?

In other words do I have three options?
1)36v for cart
2) 36 v plus 12v for accessories
3) 48 v. for cart?
Where are you now???

YES, its being a SERIES cart answers that question about the drive system. the cart you have is what you need/want to do the things you are wanting it to do. The series drive is the "work horse" of the EZGO gold carts.

as far as your options....seeing as how you are starting from SCRATCH. you want to upgrade to 48v.....the biggest reason why is that fact using your current motor (which will run on 48v with no problem) will obtain a 30% increase in both torque and speed. so the way to go would be to go with a 48v set-up.

as far as any 12v accessories, you would just add a 12v converter to run any accessories.

considering what you are making the cart for....you most likely will just keep the wheels/tires stock, that is unless you just have a "NEED" to make them bigger.

I will suggest, as a lot of folks will, and that is when its time for you to buy your new drive system parts (controller, solenoid, f&r switch, cables, etc..) we will be pointing you to cartsunlimited.net as yurtle in the second post. Scotty (the owner, who actually posted in this thread) will do you right and has the ABSOLUTE best customer service, bar none!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Not Yet Wild

ok-that certainly does help...I am starting from scratch so will go with the 48 V hookup. I did look around his site some-also him posting here already is pretty cool. i will definitely be looking to him for guidance on parts...
Thanks for the guidance!

Tags
project rebuild
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO