lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Nikkidix7
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2011 EZGO rear axle grindding

Hello,

I have a 2011 RXV with what i believe to be a brake issue.

When driving the cart im getting a grinding noise from the rear axle.
Yesterday i got the rear end up on stands and removed the brake and turn rear axle by hand, grinding noise was no longer there. which leads me to believe that the problem is in the brake.

Ive tested the brake and i getting 28 ohms across it. ive also stripped down the brake and everything looks fine apart from a burnt clutch type smell.

With it unplugged is there a test i can preform to check im getting the correct voltage to the brake? ive tested it with the cart on in neutral position but not getting anything? i know i must be getting something to the brake as it clicks when the cart is first switched on., and the cart will drive.

Hopefully someone has seen this before.

Thanks
Nikkidix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 EZGO rear axle grindding

Motor brake coil overheated and is getting weak. Replace it with an OEM motor brake only.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Nikkidix7
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Nikkidix7
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Changed motor brake still having the same issue?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkidix7 View Post
... i got the rear end up on stands and removed the brake and turn rear axle by hand, grinding noise was no longer there. which leads me to believe that the problem is in the brake..
Or it could be the bearings when under load of the full weight of the cart and batteries. Wheels that hang in the air tend not to make the same noise as those carrying the full weight of the cart. Bearings can do this if they are shot. I would recommend pulling off the wheels and check the bearings. Especially if you put on a new break and it is doing the same thing.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkidix7 View Post
Changed motor brake still having the same issue?
I'm suprised that nobody has suggested that you check the torque of the rear axle hub nuts. The splines between the rear axle shafts and the hubs can get noisy if the nuts loosen. Check to see if they are tight on both the driver and passenger sides. The only reason I suggested the motor brake was due to the burnt clutch smell mentioned earlier. Keep the motor brake that you bought, you'll be needing it.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Spun rear hub? While RXV electrics don't have brake drums, they can still spin out like an old TXT and cause it to grind and hardly move.

RXVs from like 2008-2012 (pre-curtis, Danahar variants) tend to eat motor encoders causing it to make a distinctive grinding noise, but car will move like 1/2 mph.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO