lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rabbit/Turtle Switch for 2009 RXV Curtis Upgrade

I have a 2009 RXV with the stock Danaher controller and 20.5 inch tall DOT tires. I would like to do a Curtis upgrade rather than move to a Navitas aftermarket controller if possible. The only advantage of the Navitas to me is the ability to "dial it down" when the grandchildren are present, but still keep the carts capabilities when I am driving alone (ie desire 30 mph speed capability for driving on the local streets).

From the threads I have searched, my best option appears to be a Curtis 235 or 350 amp controller(not sure which part number is current for either) and changeout to a factory Curtis wiring harness ( believe the part number is 618950).

If I do the Curtis conversion, is it possible to easily wire in a rabbit/turtle switch and does this affect Bobs ability to reprogram the controller?

Thanks for any guidance.
Fred H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rabbit/Turtle Switch for 2009 RXV Curtis Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H View Post
I have a 2009 RXV with the stock Danaher controller and 20.5 inch tall DOT tires. I would like to do a Curtis upgrade rather than move to a Navitas aftermarket controller if possible. The only advantage of the Navitas to me is the ability to "dial it down" when the grandchildren are present, but still keep the carts capabilities when I am driving alone (ie desire 30 mph speed capability for driving on the local streets).

From the threads I have searched, my best option appears to be a Curtis 235 or 350 amp controller(not sure which part number is current for either) and changeout to a factory Curtis wiring harness ( believe the part number is 618950).

If I do the Curtis conversion, is it possible to easily wire in a rabbit/turtle switch and does this affect Bobs ability to reprogram the controller?

Thanks for any guidance.
If you want a Rabbit/Turtle switch on an RXV, you'll have to buy a 2Five controller and main harness. The 2Five Curtis controller is a 1206AC-5212. I actually have a Danaher 2Five controller that I removed from my 2011 2Five that I am converting to a Curtis 2Five controller.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
bryanwood74
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry to hijack the post...

Bob - I tried sending you a pm and your box is full. How much do you want for the 2five danaher controller? I assume its plug and play for my rxv?

Also would you mind giving me your thoughts on my post:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...v-danaher.html
bryanwood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob.

Is there a part number you would recommend for the 2five harness for a Curtis controller?
Does using the Curtis 2five controller and harness compromise your ability to do your programming?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwood74 View Post
Sorry to hijack the post...

Bob - I tried sending you a pm and your box is full. How much do you want for the 2five danaher controller? I assume its plug and play for my rxv?

Also would you mind giving me your thoughts on my post:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...v-danaher.html
You can have it for free, just pay for the shipping. It'll be plug and play for the most part. You'll need to remove the resistor and resistor mount, and you'll need to add the wires to the harness for the Rabbit/Turtle switch. You can look at the wiring diagram for the early 2Five to see how it's wired. The Rabbit/Turtle switch uses the same connector as the factory RXV headlight rocker switch.

Main Harness for a 2010+ 2Five with Danaher controller is E-Z-GO Part # 609397
Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good morning.

is there an OEM part number for the 2Five main wiring harness that is used with a Curtis 2Five controller?

Also, if I retrofit the Curtis 2Five controller and 2Five factory wiring harness, do I need to do any reprogramming or can I get 25 to 30 mph with the stock programming.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob.

Is there a part number you would recommend for the 2five harness for a Curtis controller?
Does using the Curtis 2five controller and harness compromise your ability to do your programming?
Ok, here are the part numbers for 2Five Harnesses. I read them off of two new 2Five harnesses that I have here.

Main Harness for a 2010+ 2Five with Danaher controller is E-Z-GO Part # 609397

Main Harness for a 2016+ 2Five with Curtis controller is E-Z-GO Part # 619257

The harness has no bearing on the ability to reprogram the Curtis controllers. The only thing is you may want to buy a 2Five speedometer kit from E-Z-GO, as the SOC guage is built into the speedometer on the 2Five. The speedometer will not be calibrated correctly for larger tires and the RXVs rear end gear ratio. That would have to be calibrated in person.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Good morning.

is there an OEM part number for the 2Five main wiring harness that is used with a Curtis 2Five controller?

Also, if I retrofit the Curtis 2Five controller and 2Five factory wiring harness, do I need to do any reprogramming or can I get 25 to 30 mph with the stock programming.
I provided the part numbers for both versions in my previous posts. As for speed, the rear end gear ratios are different. With stock tires on your RXV, I can get you up to 27 - 28 MPH with the Curtis controller for the 2Five, and up to 32 - 33 MPH with 20.5" tires on the same platform. The same as the RXV controller, but with the Rabbit/Turtle switch capabilities. I do not know what speed change the switch will have, as it is affected by tire size.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you Bob.

This sounds like to perfect setup for what I am trying to accomplish with my 2009 stock Freedom RXV...with 20.5 inch tires installed.

I am therefore looking for the Curtis 1206AC-5212 controller and the Main Harness for a 2016+ 2Five with Curtis controller, E-Z-GO Part # 619257, either new, refurbished, or used in good condition.

If I remove my Danaher stock controller and harness, is the Curtis setup plug and play, or will I have to modify the new harness? I recognize I will need to buy the speedometer you recommended.

Please let me know if you have any good sources for these parts...or any great opportunities like your offer to bryanwood74 on the Danaher 2Five controller :-)

Thank you again for being such a great resource on the forum.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

There are a couple of recent threads to read pertaining to this same subject. I sent a link to another member for a Curtis 2Five controller that is for sale, but he had not yet made the purchase when I checked earlier. It is the only one currently available. I suggest you contact FSIP and see if they have another one available. The harness can only be obtained from the E-Z-GO factory. Mine had to be pulled from the 2Five assembly line because they only had Danaher 2Five harnesses available from the parts department at the time I was working on an issue for them. I converted a Danaher 2Five harness over to Curtis using the same method I linked to for the RXV.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO