lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery constantly venting

Hey guys I have a battery that is constantly venting. It's a two year old Deka Pro Master and it's still holding a charge as it should, and I keep the water level up, but it just keeps venting and I'm constantly having to clean the acid off the top of the battery and battery tray. Is this anything I should be concerned with?
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery constantly venting

I had one that was doing the same thing....not the same brand though. Come to find out when I started looking as the speed cap, one of the cells wasn't seating properly.....once I realized that, and looked real close and ensured all if the cells seated properly and sealed, the issue want away.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. I had checked that previously, but I'll check again.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sure your not overfilling batteries?
Need to cover the plates but if you fill cell all the way to top it will boil/vent excess water out top.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In addition to filling too full, batteries can be filled at the wrong time.

The sulfate ions migrate from the lead and lead dioxide plates during battery charging, changing the water (H2O) in the electrolyte into sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and expanding the volume of the electrolyte.

In other words, if the battery is partially discharged when the electrolyte is brought up to the proper level, it will be overfilled when charged.

With a single exception, water (distilled) should only be added to fully charged batteries.

The exception, if the plates are exposed, added just enough water to cover plate, then charge and fill to proper level.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
In addition to filling too full, batteries can be filled at the wrong time.

The sulfate ions migrate from the lead and lead dioxide plates during battery charging, changing the water (H2O) in the electrolyte into sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and expanding the volume of the electrolyte.

In other words, if the battery is partially discharged when the electrolyte is brought up to the proper level, it will be overfilled when charged.

With a single exception, water (distilled) should only be added to fully charged batteries.

The exception, if the plates are exposed, added just enough water to cover plate, then charge and fill to proper level.
100% true! Man, I sure wish I could get more customers to follow those guidelines. Especially those with automatic fill systems! Several times a week I deal with "BFS leaking" complaints, when I know they are filling before batteries are charged (but can't prove it). The cells are filled up into the rim, and all uniformly overfilled to the same level. I wish we never sold another automatic fill system. I fill my own batteries to about 1/4" above the plates, it might require checking them a little more often, but I never had juice all over the tops of the batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

IIRC, auto-fill systems were invented by a company that sell batteries.

If you stop and think about it a bit, maintaining the electrolyte at a lower level (1/4" above the plate) increases the SG, which in turn improves capacity and lowers internal resistance.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all of the reply's guys. I probably should have given a little more information in my initial post.

The batteries have been maintained and kept filled about 1/4-1/2" above the plates within 48hrs after they have been fully recharged. I've only had to top them up once so far. Also, I've noticed this particular battery has been venting since I've owned the cart; roughly 3 months now. Every time I lift the seat, a I can hear it venting and there is always some acid on the top of battery. I checked the SG last month when I performed my last top up, and it was at 1.275, so right about where it should have been when fully charged. The battery also seems to perform OK. I'm just having to constantly clean up acid off my garage floor and/or my trailer.

I did notice the quick fill caps are pretty dirty, so I'm going to try cleaning them in baking soda and distilled water, then rinse in clean distilled water, to see if I can get them to seal better. Cant hurt to try.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:33 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Cleaning the outside doesn't require distilled water, garden hose & baking soda will be fine (that's a waste of your distilled water). The "good stuff" is only required for the inside of the batteries!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
ChuckW
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Cleaning the outside doesn't require distilled water, garden hose & baking soda will be fine (that's a waste of your distilled water). The "good stuff" is only required for the inside of the batteries!
Thanks CGTech, I was going to do as you suggested and clean the outside and tops of the batteries with baking soda and garden hose, then remove the caps and clean them separately in distilled water and baking soda in hopes of getting them to seal better. May be a waste of time, but couldn't hurt.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO