lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Speed and acceleration problem

Here is the back ground on it. I bought it last September it accelerated faster than any cart in my club and would reach about 35mph. In May the thing crapped out wouldn’t accelerate wouldn’t go over 10mph. Throttle assembly, speed sensor, brake and two batteries replaced and no results. I finally convinced the dealer it was the controller and they finally replaced it and reprogrammed the new one. It will reach 30mph now but accelerates very slowly compared to what it used to and doesn’t reach the 35mph mark. I have 14” SS wheels so I th8nk my tires are 20.5” probably. @BobBoyce do you think you could reprogram to get me back on track?
Chbyfngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed and acceleration problem

20.5” tires on 14” rims?... ain’t no room for air in those tires
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just measured total height of tires is 22”
Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think the experts are waiting for more information... model... year... drive system... any other relevant info
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

22" tires on a stock RXV controller is what killed your controller. You cannot expect a stock controller to handle that abuse for long. By speeding it up and then using those sized tires, the controller just could not handle the abuse. Try 205/40-14 tires on those 14" rims and your new controller will last. Then we'll see about getting it reprogrammed. 20.5" tires max on an RXV
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
22" tires on a stock RXV controller is what killed your controller. You cannot expect a stock controller to handle that abuse for long. By speeding it up and then using those sized tires, the controller just could not handle the abuse. Try 205/40-14 tires on those 14" rims and your new controller will last. Then we'll see about getting it reprogrammed. 20.5" tires max on an RXV
There are about 70 carts in my neighborhood with the same tires bought from the same dealer none of them have this problem or have had this problem. The dealer puts the same tires and same controller code on all the carts. We have 2008’s running just fine no problems. He personally came to my home to reprogram mine when it went bad. He said he replaced the controller but I think he just wiped it and put it back in. I have a 2014 RXV. The tires are 185/55R14. Do you think the Navitas TAC2 600amp would help? I have kids and would like to have the ability to adjust the speed when they take it out. The controller is a Curtis 1206 btw
Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chbyfngr View Post
There are about 70 carts in my neighborhood with the same tires bought from the same dealer none of them have this problem or have had this problem. The dealer puts the same tires and same controller code on all the carts. We have 2008’s running just fine no problems. He personally came to my home to reprogram mine when it went bad. He said he replaced the controller but I think he just wiped it and put it back in. I have a 2014 RXV. The tires are 185/55R14. Do you think the Navitas TAC2 600amp would help? I have kids and would like to have the ability to adjust the speed when they take it out. The controller is a Curtis 1206 btw
I seriously doubt that your dealer is reprogramming controllers. He's probably just dialing them up, like most dealers can do in the profiles. To reprogram requires knowledge of the programming language, and the top level (Development) programming hardware and software. If he were that good, he would also know the limits of the hardware in the controller, and stick to the limits. I can turn the early 1206AC-5201 235 Amp controllers up to 800 Amps per phase, but they certainly would not live long if hot rodded.

By putting 22" tires on stock controller RXVs, your dealer is responsible for any controller failures that occur. As for Navitas... The stock RXV controllers are 235 Amp, and if you rate it like Navitas does, that works out to 705 Amps. If you rate it like most controller manufacturers, the Navitas is only 200 Amps. The decision is yours. But when it comes to the motor turning tires larger than 20.5", the only option in my book is the Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller. I have changed out controllers on members carts that burned them out by running oversized tires. Some have lasted longer than others, depending upon how they are driven. Setting them up for jackrabbit starts is the fastest way to burn them out. If the controller is reprogrammed correctly, and the tires meet the motor map range in the controller, a controller will not fail, even when exposed to jackrabbit starts. A controller should never be allowed to exceed its rating, even for jackrabbit starts. I never reprogram a controller to deliver more than 100% of its rating, even for a fraction of a second. Anyone that sets that up is just inviting the controller to fail.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I seriously doubt that your dealer is reprogramming controllers. He's probably just dialing them up, like most dealers can do in the profiles. To reprogram requires knowledge of the programming language, and the top level (Development) programming hardware and software. If he were that good, he would also know the limits of the hardware in the controller, and stick to the limits. I can turn the early 1206AC-5201 235 Amp controllers up to 800 Amps per phase, but they certainly would not live long if hot rodded.

By putting 22" tires on stock controller RXVs, your dealer is responsible for any controller failures that occur. As for Navitas... The stock RXV controllers are 235 Amp, and if you rate it like Navitas does, that works out to 705 Amps. If you rate it like most controller manufacturers, the Navitas is only 200 Amps. The decision is yours. But when it comes to the motor turning tires larger than 20.5", the only option in my book is the Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller. I have changed out controllers on members carts that burned them out by running oversized tires. Some have lasted longer than others, depending upon how they are driven. Setting them up for jackrabbit starts is the fastest way to burn them out. If the controller is reprogrammed correctly, and the tires meet the motor map range in the controller, a controller will not fail, even when exposed to jackrabbit starts. A controller should never be allowed to exceed its rating, even for jackrabbit starts. I never reprogram a controller to deliver more than 100% of its rating, even for a fraction of a second. Anyone that sets that up is just inviting the controller to fail.
Where is the best place to buy the Curtis 350 amp? What’s top speed I could get with that controller? What is a Jackrabbit start?
Old 09-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You get no more speed from a 350amp controller just torque.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
You get no more speed from a 350amp controller just torque.
If someone “Tunes” the controller you will get a lot more speed. I am asking what is the max speed I can expect with a tuned 350 amp controlle. The stock version can be tuned to 30mph

Tags
2014 rvx
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO