lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car (Bobcat 2100) w/FE400 oil burn

Hey all,
My 2003 Bobcat 2100 (basically a club car carryall 272) with a Kawasaki FE400 is suddenly giving me issues at 750 hours.

Recently the air intake hose (soft flexible rubber) broke. I replaced it with a piece of flexible radiator hose from a local parts store (was a cheaper option than ordering the right part.) HOWEVER, it is slightly pinched at both curve points (BUT) it started right up and seemed to run fine.
During this repair I also changed the oil and filter.
That is when things went south.

SUDDENLY... after climbing a hill at full throttle (for 15 seconds or so) a huge amount of white smoke pours out. The burnt oil smell will choke you. It is to the point where there is so much smoke, I can't even see! It doesn't smoke at idle, or while cruising around at medium throttle. Slight power loss, but no other noticeable sounds or sights. No leaks.

It does NOT have too much oil in it, it is right on the mark. My thoughts at first were that this was related to my air intake hose replacement, but is clearly burning a huge gush of oil for a brief moment and then clearing up.

-Pulling the dipstick at idle revealed enough pressure to blow oil all over my hand (so I was thinking that is severe blow-by and that the rings are bad) but why would it not smoke all the time then? Maybe oil blowing out of the dipstick / filler tube is not uncommon for this motor?

-Could it be crank case pressure related? Is there a filter or screen for that somewhere?

-Bad / stuck / broken valve?

It still runs and sounds like it always did. Just a huge white cloud after a 15+ wide open throttle while climbing a grade and slight power loss during that time.

Any advice would be great. Thanks all!
demarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car (Bobcat 2100) w/FE400 oil burn

What you have is not a Carry All. It is Club Car's UTV. The Carry All is literally a golf cart with a bed on the back. The 2100 has much heavier duty suspension, frame, steering, locking differential, different gearing, and heavy duty 4 wheel hydraulic brakes. The correct hose part number is 101837101. About $20 online.

As for the temporary oil burning. These things are very sensitive to over filling. Also there is a reed valve on the cylinder head that controls crankcase breathing. Mine got a particle of old gasket under it and smoked like a BBQ shack.

I have the factory service and parts manuals for the 2100. If you need to know anything from them just ask and I will look it up for you.
Greg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you. Yes, it is as you describe. I was just relating it to something more recognizable for the gas CC thread. It is a fantastic little utv that I want to keep much longer than 750 hrs. It has extremely desirable specs... locking diff, 4 wheel brakes, power dump bed, heavy alum frame and susp... etc.

I did pull the crank case vent (little hose off that connects the valve cover to the carb intake area) and it seems to be fine, though I am not sure what "normal" is for this... it is not restricted in any way, small amount of air movement.

Oil level is right on the mark where I always fill it to after a change.

But would you know if pulling the dipstick should allow such a huge amount of pressure release / blow-by in the bottom end of these engines while at idle? After wiggling it loose, the dipstick pops out like a cork and literally blows oil everywhere under pressure.

Since this came on suddenly, I was thinking a broken ring, but there is no difference in sound or performance really...

I will replace my make-shift air breather hose and order the correct part since it is crimped in two spots, but I am not thinking it is related to the oil burn.

Thoughts on the blow-by bottom end pressure blowing out of the dipstick filler tube?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

And BTW Greg001, I said it was similar to a Carryall 272, which it is. Also cross refs with a pioneer 1200 btw...

Thoughts on the blow-by I am experiencing?
Old 11-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

A compression test will let you know if you have a broken ring. I would check the reed valve on cylinder head. But only if it started burning oil again. Mine got stuck open and it burned oil very badly, fixed it and problem gone.

Ingersoll Rand owns Bobcat and Club Car. The Bobcat 1200 and the Club Car Pioneer are the same with badging changed. I own a 2002 Bobcat 1200 and a 2003 Club Car Pioneer.
Greg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
demarcor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you!
I pulled the valve cover off, is the reed valve the thin metal structure attached to the underside of the cover? Doesn't look like it is removable or that it moves from open to closed positions. Unless I am looking at the wrong thing. The little hose is clear.
I am not sure what the reed valve looks like or how to check that it is functioning correctly.
Anything you can suggest on checking the reed valve? A picture of it? Or what part number it is?

**Oddly enough, when I put the valve cover back on and took it for a ride, I couldn't get it to smoke at all. Maybe I freed something up or it is just a coincidence.

Can anyone else confirm if Kawasaki engines normally have lots of bottom end pressure when you pull the dipstick at idle?

Thanks again Greg001!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car