lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2009 Precedent - Strange No-Start Behavior`

An update and a question for y'all. After driving the cart for 30 minutes straight, I was able to get the problem to occur. To remind you, the problem is that when I press the gas pedal with the cart completely stopped and the engine not running, the starter does not turn. I note when this occurs that the solenoid does not click. Well, this time when it occurred, I jumped off, removed seat, shifted into neutral, and put the cam in maintenance mode. I then pressed the gas pedal and the starter did not turn and the solenoid did not click. I then jumped the orange wire post of the solenoid to the negative terminal of the battery (ground) and with the gas pedal still depressed, the starter turned and the cart started.

I stopped the engine removed the jumper to ground, hit the pedal, and no starter turning. With the pedal still depressed, I again grounded the orange post of the solenoid and, voila, starter turned and cart started.

This seems to definitely point to a problem in the ground part of the trigger circuit of the solenoid. This really can only be the GCOR starter circuit or the neutral/F/R switch. One of these two things goes bad when the cart has been run for ~30 minutes.

It seems unlikely to be the N/F/R switch since the problem occurs with the cart in neutral, forward, and reverse. What do you think? Is this switch likely at fault?

Attached is a picture of the GCOR or TPS (not sure which it is). Do you think it is likely that this is the problem?

So the question is, What part number is this and how do I replace it.

It has two numbers on it: 34-1173(G) and 07203?100473. If the latter is the part number, can anyone tell me what the illegible number is? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191208_102543.jpg (94.4 KB, 0 views)
Vinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

Well, one more update. I removed the N/F/R switch from the solenoid trigger circuit ground leg. I did this by removing the green and black wires from this switch and then jumping these two wires together. I then took it on a 30 minute drive... again :(... and got the problem to occur. Since the problem occurred without the N/F/R switch in the circuit, the only remaining item where it could be failing would seem to be the TPS.

Does anyone have any thoughts on another possible failure point? I was thinking that it might be the ground on that particular circuit but I do not know how to find this particular ground. It passes through the N/F/R switch and then joins 5 other grounds in the "sonic 3" weld location and then one or maybe more than one wire goes to a ground somewhere.

Hmm, to eliminate a possible bad ground, I think I will have to replicate the problem again and then ground from the outlet of the N/F/R switch to the negative terminal of the battery. Darn. Wish I had thought of this earlier.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

Still another update...

I did the last test tonight. After driving the cart another 30 minutes to replicate the problem, I pulled off the seat, shifted to neutral, put the cam in maintenance mode, pulled off the ground wire from the N/F/R switch, and then jumpered the now unconnected tab on this switch to the battery negative terminal (ground). The cart would not start this assuring me that the problem is, indeed, in the TPS.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

So I have now learned that the TPS for a 2009 gas Club Car Precedent is unique and cannot be purchased separately. I also believe that it cannot be replaced by a GCOR. Instead, the TPS must be purchased as part of an accelerator pedal assembly for somewhere between $165 and $230 depending on where you buy it.

To save myself some effort, I would prefer to receive the new accelerator pedal assembly with the new TPS, remove the new TPS from this assembly, and install this new TPS on the old pedal assembly in place of the faulty TPS.

Can this be done? Is it possible that each TPS is calibrated only for the specific accelerator pedal it comes with?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've never had a precedent so I dont know about the TPS but your best bet is to call David hicks at revolution golf cars (site sponsor). Whatever it is you need, he will know, and hell have the best prices on OEM parts

If it's something adjustable he may be able to point you in that direction as well
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There's no TPS on a gas cart. A TPS is a potentiometer, which a gas cart has no use for.

Your cart has a GCOR. There are two micro-switches inside it. One for engaging the solenoid, the other for grounding the ignition kill circuit.
You can unplug it and test the pins for continuity while you press the pedal.

Like CP said, talk to David because he'll know the correct parts to get you back up and running.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

My cart is a 2009 and for that year only they did come with a device called a TPS. It did not work well and Club Car changed these to the GCOR units under warranty. Any warranty on this cart has long expired and I bought it at least second hand and maybe 3rd or 4th hand. It has the TPS unit and not a GCOR. Despite being called a TPS, it still contains only two micro-switches and not a potentiometer.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

Well, darn. I replaced the gas pedal assembly which includes a new TPS, took the cart for a 30 minute drive (necessary for problem to occur) and, unfortunately, the problem did occur. To recap, when the problem occurs, pressing the gas pedal will not cause starter to turn but pressing the pedal and grounding the orange wire post of the solenoid will cause cart to start. This indicates the problem is lack of continuity in the ground circuit of the solenoid. Further, when the problem occurs, pressing the gas pedal and grounding the green wire where it enters the Fwd/Rev switch does NOT cause the starter to turn. Hence the problem is between the orange wire post of the solenoid and the green wire at the Fwd/Rev switch. Since the only device in this part of the circuit was the gas pedal/TPS switch, I figured it must be the problem. Now a new one exhibits the exact same problem.

Now I am leaning toward a bad wire or a bad sonic weld in this part of the circuit. There is one sonic weld in this part of the circuit (#6). I guess I will see if I can find this sonic weld and then try to examine the orange wire from the solenoid to terminal F of the TPS and the green wire from terminal E of the TPS to the NO contact of the Fwd/Rev switch.

I am very frustrated. Anyone have any advice on what could be wrong or where to find this sonic weld?

G'day,

Vinish
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car