lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #21
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Transmission problem...

I believe on the old counter clockwise trans units there was a slight amount of end play (in/out) that was normal. The input shaft on those does not house the main gears like it does on the newer unitized trans, so the input shaft play is controlled by a shim thrust washer which should allow some slight play.

The usual suspect for excessive play would be bad bearings on the input shaft, which are pretty much universal and can be bought anywhere. But unless there is obvious up/down play, or you can feel roughness or resistance in the rotation of the shaft, it's probably fine. Often bad input bearings will make a whirring or moaning noise that changes with vehicle speed, but will go away if you get the cart up to speed and throw it into neutral.
If the bearings are bad, there's a number stamped on the outer race of the bearing and all you need to do is match that up. I like NSK, or NTN/KOYO bearings for Japanese stuff like the Kawasaki trans (and most other club car bearings) They might have used NOK bearings but those are usually harder to find.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #22
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thanks for the info. No gear whines or anything like that. I have some driven clutch rattle but when not under load but that’s about it.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #23
winterfever
Not Yet Wild

I have an 88 gas Carry All. Just got it running and was driving around the yard. I decided to check out reverse and it engaged good and drove great in reverse. I stopped and shifted back into forward, but it wouldn't move the cart at all.

The transmission seems to be locked up when in forward gear, yet reverse works great. I can not rotate the secondary clutch at all when it is in forward gear. I can of course rotate the secondary while in reverse and move the cart.

Prior to running the cart in reverse, forward gear was fine. I am hoping one of you knowledgeable folks can guide me as to the probable issue causing this strange situation. Thanks
winterfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #24
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Is the motor running when you're in FWD gear? Just not moving?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Disconnect the cable and shift it manually first by flipping the lever on the transmission itself. Those cables tend to go bad and it can cause issues like this.

Worst case… If it’s an 88 you can pull the transmission in about 15 minutes in a carryall. Open it up and see what’s jamming up in there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car