lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 ezgo electric - slow take off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylomatt View Post
I just finished removing all 4 of the motor connections, wire-brushing them (with a hand drill) until they were shiny, used a little dielectric grease on the post and the ring terminal and locked them down again. I did the same to each of the battery terminals and to the 4 post and ring terminal connections on the back of the F&R switch.

The connections on the controller don't budge so I left those alone for now.

I get full battery pack voltage on the M- and B- terminals on the controller when I sneak the gas pedal on and it drops to about .1v all the way down. During my testing the battery pack was dropped to 37.1v but I see every bit of it at M- and B- terminals nonetheless. It's on the charger now.

Any other ideas?
What you saw between M- and B- was normal and indicates the controller is getting to 100% duty cycle, or very very close to it, but did not show the voltage being applied to the motor under load.

Measure between the controller's M- and B+ terminals and compare that voltage to the 37.1V the battery pack drops to under load. (They ought to be identical, or very close to it, maybe 37.0V vs 37.1V)

The two sets of contacts that cannot be seen (or at least easily seen) are those in the F/R switch assembly and inside the solenoid. Attached are pictures of a cut open stock solenoid from a TXT series drive showing what the contacts look like after a few years of use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21B873D7-26AE-4CA6-B8C2-9E0ABFDD74F7.jpg (143.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BAE260EF-FF39-4681-8539-869DD17B67C0.jpg (133.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
hylomatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After a little charge, I'm seeing 37.4v between M- and B- as I press the pedal just enough to find the max voltage reading. Farther depression of the pedal reduces voltage to 0.1v.

Between M- and B+, I'm reading 0v up to 36.6v at full throttle.

Not sure if you're talking about a 2nd solenoid in the F&R switch but the solenoid that clicks when the throttle is depressed is new. The old one gave out a few months ago.
hylomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
hylomatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are some attached photos in case that helps with context to see what I'm working with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200112_150450.jpg (285.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200112_150500.jpg (150.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200112_150537.jpg (189.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200112_150521.jpg (128.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200112_150510.jpg (110.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
After a little charge, I'm seeing 37.4v between M- and B- as I press the pedal just enough to find the max voltage reading.

Between M- and B+, I'm reading 36.6v at full throttle.

Not sure if you're talking about a 2nd solenoid in the F&R switch but the solenoid that clicks when the throttle is depressed is new. The old one gave out a few months ago.
That is only about 0.8V difference, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

The contacts in the F/R assembly make and break as your move the shift lever.

There are four stationary contacts connected to the four studs the cables attache to and there are four moveable contacts (Two sets of two connected by a bus bar) on a disk shaped cam that is moved by the shift lever. Electrically, the F/R assembly is a DPDT-Center/Off switch.

Attached is a parts manual that shows the F/R in your cart on page F-1, but I also attached a page from a manual for a later body style that shows a view of the cam with the contacts visible. (F/R switch is the same in Marathon, Medalist and TXT body styles, just the location, orientation and linkage is different)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Series F-N-R Exploded.JPG (50.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X-440, X-444, X-444F, Electrick Golf Car, 1992, 27148G01.pdf (7.25 MB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #15
hylomatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I uploaded some photos in my previous post.

Are you saying that I should remove the F&R switch and disassemble it to be cleaned or at least inspected? I can do that if so.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Here are some attached photos in case that helps with context to see what I'm working with.
I see at least half a dozen cable ends that may be causing troubles. (Insulation not all the way to ring terminal and exposing bare copper strands. Open end ring terminals. 90° bend at terminal of solenoid.)

All high current cables (cables connecting batteries, controller, F/R switch, solenoid and motor together) ought to be 4Ga or thicker with air tight ring terminals. Except for being attached to 6Ga cables, the ends of the cables connecting the battery pack to the charger receptacle are what the rest should look like.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #17
hylomatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I can get a stock set of 6ga for not that much money but the 4ga sets I've seen are a bit expensive.

6ga set is super cheap:
https://www.buggiesunlimited.com/gol...986-1994)/1254

4ga big kit (with massive price jump):
https://www.buggiesunlimited.com/gol...88-1994)/29055

That 4ga set seems excessively expensive but I could be cheap as well.
Do you think those cables would test as 0 ohms but still cause trouble under heavier load?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I think I can get a stock set of 6ga for not that much money but the 4ga sets I've seen are a bit expensive.

6ga set is super cheap:
URL deleted.

4ga big kit (with massive price jump):
URL deleted.

That 4ga set seems excessively expensive but I could be cheap as well.
Do you think those cables would test as 0 ohms but still cause trouble under heavier load?
None site sponsor URLs deleted

Look elsewhere for parts, those guys don't have the best of reputations.

Check these places out: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

Their sponsorships and donations from individual members are what keeps the best golf cart forum on the planet afloat.

-------------
All 13 (or 14) cables need to be 4Ga or thicker. Looks like your controller has an A2 terminal, so you need a 14 cable set, or you can simply not use the A2 terminal on the controller. (Only needed if you shift direction of travel while moving. Same controller is used in forklifts.)

However, with stock height tires, no rear seat or box and modest demands on cart, (Fairly level terrain, no more that two people onboard and little, if any, hauling or pulling) 6Ga might be sufficient. I didn't see a complete set of 6Ga cables in the link, but somebody probably sells them. When making price comparisons, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #19
hylomatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Was that against the rules, posting links to non-sponsor vendors? Sorry if it is. I'm used to my "other place" over at thesamba.com. It's pretty much a free-for-all over there! And thanks for the feedback on that vendor as well.

I took a look at the vendor page, so thanks for that. I bought my brake cables from DIY and they were quick about it. I like them.

Good point, I know the kits were not equal.

There is some hauling. There's a "bed" on the back that get's loaded up from time to time. It was full of firewood last weekend, transporting that from one end of the property to the other (3 acres of flat land). And it might have 2 adults and a kid jumps on to ride for a bit, that sort of stuff.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

No big deal, most of us have posted links we probably shouldn't have.

I often post a link to Amazon or Mouser or the like to illustrate a point or suggestion. For example, you have dual post on your Crown batteries and can separate the high current motor circuit connections from the charger cable connections, voltage reducer feed and other smaller wires using SAE battery post clamps like these: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Termi...s%2C145&sr=8-4

FWIW: Here are the rules:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/rules/

-------------
Check the cables after hauling the kids or firewood and if they are much more than about 10°F above the ambient temperature, they are too small.

Tags
1991, acceleration, electric, ezgo, take off
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO