lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Money2188
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 club car ds driven rear end is stuck and it's not the brakes

97 club car ds. I can see the driven clutch move the slightest bit when I shift it from forward to neutral to reverse but no matter what it's in the rear end and the secondary driven clutch wont move.

Something in the trans must be locked up?
Its not the brakes

Thanks for the input
Money2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car ds driven rear end is stuck and it's not the brakes

This is with the rear end jacked up off the ground? When jacked up can you spin the rear wheels by hand in any gear?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Money2188
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes with the rear end jacked up off the ground I cant turn the secondary driven clutch either way when it's in drive/neutral or reverse. Rear diff/trans has oil in it.

I'm guessing it's going to have to come apart or I'll have to put a whole different rear end in it? Any idea what could make it lock up like it is?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I haven't gotten into these rear ends enough to know what would cause one to lock up. If it were me, since I don't know too much about them, I'd try to find a good replacement to swap in.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you drain the fluid from the rear axle? Any chunks or glitter in it? Was the cart driving when this happened?
There’s a possibility the synchro rings are stuck so it’s in forward and reverse at the same time which makes it impossible to spin the input shaft. Sometimes they can be knocked loose with a sharp rap on the end of the input shaft with a hammer while trying to spin the clutch. Sometimes just putting the wheels on the ground and trying to pull the cart with another vehicle can get them to pop loose. Worst case the trans can be disassembled and manually “unstick” them by prying or tapping them off of the synchro cones. The usual reason for jammed synchro rings is using the wrong fluid in the trans, or possibly water contamination of the fluid which could cause them to get rusted in place.

Obviously if there is glitter or metal chunks in the fluid then there has been a major failure and the transaxle will probably need to be replaced.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Money2188
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry for the long layoff. This cart was one that I purchased just like this. It wasnt running or driving when it happened. I purchased it with a blown up engine. The rear end you just never went in neutral. Shift cable was rusted/frozen. I fixed the shift cable. I havent drained the rear end to check for shavings or anything yet.

I did try to do "the trick" where guys said you drive in reverse or forward fast and try to put the shifter in the opposite direction. That didnt work. Eventually it tried locking up the rear end so I couldn't go in either direction. Then when I was dragging it into our one shop it did free up to the point where it was rolled in forward again but still no neutral and when put in the opposite direction the rear wheels lock up completely again. I'm thinking I'm going to bring it back into the shop. Drain the rear end and tear into it
Old 01-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
Money2188
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Drained the rear end oil today. Oil looked very clean with no chunks of anything coming out. Probably going to just tear it apart. Any tips I should know when tearing it apart?

Thankyou
Old 01-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If you take the belt off can you spin the motor by hand?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
Money2188
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If you take the belt off can you spin the motor by hand?
Yea I can spin the motor by hand.

Then when the transmission is in neutral position the rear end is always turning when I spin the secondary clutch
Old 01-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
Money2188
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update

I took the right axle off today. Split the case and found a stuck synchro ring. Got it free. Put it all back together. Need a throttle cable and then I should be able to test it all out officially. That being said on the lift now it fully goes into neutral/drive/and reverse like it should.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car