lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
The Penguin
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 DS - low compression

I'm tearing down my 2001 DS for a frame-up restoration. I'll start a separate thread for that soon.

BUT - before I took it all apart - I checked engine compression. It's at 145ish. purchased a manual today and it states it should be 156-185.

I'm more familiar with 2-stroke engines. What should I be looking for? I'm thinking it'll need a set of piston rings (minimum). Anything else to check?

I've completely torn the cart down to the naked frame - maybe I should have held up a bit. Ooops.

thanks!
The Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 DS - low compression

Take it apart. Check tolerances on everything. Then order what you need to make it right. I’d replace all the seals, valve stem seals, and gaskets while it’s apart. Intake valves can wear, exhaust is usually fine. Check for any play in the counterbalance weight connecting rods. On the fe290 you can replace the rods or the bushings inside the rod, you’ll just need a shop press to do it. But it’s not hard.

There’s a sticky thread on fe290 at the top of this section. I’ve put a lot of the specs and part numbers in there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

At 145ish... I wouldn’t go that far into it!
125ish? Then yes!
It might be something simple... will it be 156? No...
It might be just a bad reading without the throttle being wide open!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
At 145ish... I wouldn’t go that far into it!
125ish? Then yes!
It might be something simple... will it be 156? No...
It might be just a bad reading without the throttle being wide open!
Touché

Or valve adjustment. But with the cart completely disassembled now it’s hard to verify. And I concur it’s much easier to pull the engine with the body already off.

Also while the body is off, is a great time to pull the gas tank and clean it out really well. The vent grommet has a tendency to disintegrate and leave crap all over the bottom of the tank. There’s no way to get the tank out with the body on.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car