lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Key Start Villager Voltage Regulator Replacement

So I need to replace the voltage regulator on a key start gas villager (2001) and I'm having trouble with it. The current one (likely not original) has four wires- black, blue, red, and yellow. I replaced it with a regular cheapo Amazon VR with two blacks red and yellow, but it will just pop the fuse unless I disconnect the blue wire, and with it connected, it runs like it has a load on it (charging the battery really high.)

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the regulators on these unusual systems? I found this super complicated wiring diagram for this key start cart online, but like I mentioned, mine has only 4 wires so I'm not sure.

Any ideas would be appreciated...
Thanks!
Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.45.00 AM.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Key Start Villager Voltage Regulator Replacement

And more pictures- original and replacement.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Where are you trying to connect the blue wire to? The exact purpose of the blue wire im not sure, but that is 12v going into the regulator. So if you are trying to connect it to any of the black wiring on the new regulator it will pop the fuse because the black wires are ground.

The blue wire is not needed. The new regulator will still function with just the red, yellow, and black wires connected as they were on the old regulator. Leave blue off. Tape over the end so it can’t touch anything metal, or remove it from the solenoid.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Where are you trying to connect the blue wire to? The exact purpose of the blue wire im not sure, but that is 12v going into the regulator. So if you are trying to connect it to any of the black wiring on the new regulator it will pop the fuse because the black wires are ground.

The blue wire is not needed. The new regulator will still function with just the red, yellow, and black wires connected as they were on the old regulator. Leave blue off. Tape over the end so it can’t touch anything metal, or remove it from the solenoid.
So it's normal for the cart to run like it has slightly more load on it? The battery is at least charging now. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Make sure the red wire is supplying 12v to the regulator.
Make sure the yellow is connected properly, and both black wires are grounded to a clean ground point.
Run the engine and check the charging voltage. If it is higher than 14.5v the regulator is probably faulty.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Make sure the red wire is supplying 12v to the regulator.
Make sure the yellow is connected properly, and both black wires are grounded to a clean ground point.
Run the engine and check the charging voltage. If it is higher than 14.5v the regulator is probably faulty.
Seems to work. I guess the system has been simplified now! Thanks again Fairtax.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car