lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Big Wood
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS gas gear set wear

I opened up the transaxle (2001 DS gas) to inspect and install a high speed gear set prior to Big Block install. While turning axles I noticed that it didn't turn as smoothly as my previous electric version. The best that I can explain it is there seemed to be a slight "pulsing" as axles are turned. The gear case didn't seem to have been previously opened - as best as can tell. Upon examination of the gears, the only wear I could find was on the gear teeth ... the engagement is not completely across the gear tooth face - note photos.
thoughts and any suggestions for next steps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gear tooth wear 1.jpg (80.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gear wear 2.jpg (83.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gear wear 3.jpg (92.8 KB, 0 views)
Big Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS gas gear set wear

Looks normal to me. These gears don’t have to be super precise like you might expect from a car or truck transmission.

The odd wear pattern on the crown gear is typical, and suggests very little wear of the gears.
The intermediate gear (the one in your hand in the third pic) I can’t really tell what you’re pointing at, but nothing there looks worn.

As long as all of the bearings spin smoothly and don’t have a lot of play, then it’s all fine.

A clunking or pulsating when turning the axles is usually just gear noise coming from the spider gears in the center differential. They only have a few large teeth, so they will make some noise when they mesh together while spinning.
A somewhat common wear item is the outer wheel bearing. If those are worn there will be obvious up/down or in/out play. But considering how clean the rest of that looks, I wouldn’t expect to find anything wrong.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
Big Wood
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the good news. It just seamed usual to me the the only noticeable contact point was at the very outside edge of the gear. The thing I was point out on the third photo is (I guess a manufacturing issue) extra metal on outside of gear side...almost looks like it was mashed out to the edge (if that makes sense) Once again, no real sign of any ware on gear teeth just the deformity along the side of the gear. Thanks again for your comments.
BTW You were spot on regarding outer wheel bearing ... both bearing are bad and need to be replaced.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No that little outer ridge is a normal leftover from the casting process.

The odd wear on the crown gear can be due to several reasons, but is probably just from the way the teeth were machined. Some extra material on one edge will take backlash out of the contact point and make for a smoother and quieter meshing of the teeth. I can’t tell if that’s the trailing edge or the leading edge of the gear, but that kind of wear is common due to the way the gears are machined. I would expect to see that on the trailing edge, but with a gear set that has little wear it could be on either side.
Are you sure the wheel bearings are bad? Have you already put the axle back together?
Those are single row ball bearings and will always have a small amount
of free play. When the axle shaft is not supported on the inner end the axle will always show a fair amount of movement that is not a problem at all.
The bearings should spin smoothly. As long as they are smooth and not notchy or Grundy feeling, nothing is wrong. A worn bearing there will have an obvious rough feel when you spin the axle hub. And will also usually have an associated rumble or growling noise when the cart is rolling at speed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
Big Wood
Not Yet Wild

Yea, the outer bearing are bad...feel "crunchy" inside when they are spun. Thanks again.

Tags
gas gear set wear
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car