lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Pete in Pa.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 04 Precedent questions about clutch access

New to the cart world and just picked up an 04 Precedent cart for the wife. Seems like a good cart as it had been owned by a private owner since new. My question is, the clutch is snapping into the belt and it jerks on takeoff,,, even worse in reverse. There is not room enough to get the clutch puller onto the clutch as it is right next to the frame. I thought jacking the body up, and not the suspension would give access, but it made no difference. Do you have to pull the engine to tear the clutch apart ? That would make it a winter project for sure,,, Thanks for any info you can give on this problem.
Pete in Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 04 Precedent questions about clutch access

On a precedent the easy way is to unbolt the leaf spring on the clutch side and let the axle/cradle swing down on that side, but it does have to come down a bit more than you would think it should. Then you may have to lift it back up to get enough room to wiggle the clutch out through the top. I haven't done many of those and can't remember if I got it out from above or below last time.

Sometimes its possible to clean it out with compressed air and get it to work OK for a little while. Sounds like that one is in need of a rebuild or replacement. Look at the sheaves (the cones) of the clutch and if they are grooved or look wavy then you are usually better off to replace the clutch.

A new belt goes a long way as well. Don't cheap out on that, because the cheapo belts just don't last. Check with some of our site sponsors for rebuild parts or replacement clutches and belts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:43 AM   #3
Pete in Pa.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 04 Precedent questions about clutch access

Thanks for the reply,,, I did the compressed air but it made no difference. Sheaves are as smooth as a baby’s butt so I think that something is amiss inside the assembly. Will try to take it apart once I get the tools. Thank you again !
Pete in Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car