lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #1
Pete in Pa.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default How to replace clutch on 04 Precedent

I inquired earlier about access to replacing the clutch earlier and Fairtax4me got me headed in the right direction. Job turned out to be much easier than I anticipated, and had a total of about an hour in the total job. So just in case anyone else was wondering,,, this is what you have to do. I might add, EVERY fastener came apart as if they were brand new,,, hard to believe on a 17 year old cart. The drive belt was dry rotted and I replaced it but the starter belt looks good yet, They both had Club Car on them so I assume that they were original.

1. Jack rear of cart up about 18 inches and support on frame rails with jack stands in front of front eyes on rear springs.
2. Remove seat bottom and disconnect battery.
3. Remove right rear wheel.
4. Remove drive belt.
5. Loosen top 2 bolts on starter. Head and nut are both 9/16".
6. Remove rear inspection cover and loosen bottom bolt on starter. 1/2"
7. Remove starter belt.
8. Remove bottom nuts on both rear shocks.
9. Raise rear axle about an inch with floor jack.
10. Remove front and rear bushing bolts on right rear spring.
11. Remove left rear bushing bolt on left rear spring.
12. Lower rear axle until the clutch is below the frame rail and has clearance to be removed.
13. Remove center 9/16" bolt on center of clutch,,, righty loosey.
14. Install clutch puller rod in clutch and pop her off. Mine came off with a Dewalt 1/4 inch battery impact.
15. Install new clutch and reverse removal steps.

I tightened mine with that same impact and all seems good.
New clutch works great and solved all my jerking problems. This was after I had replaced the drive belt and still had the same issues. Hope this helps someone else some day.
Pete in Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: How to replace clutch on 04 Precedent

Glad you got it done!
Not everyone gets that lucky with bolts coming apart. Sometimes it's some heat and a hammer, sometimes it's cut-off wheel or sawzall.

I always run the clutch bolts with a 1/4 impact. I've been using a Rigid 20v for years now and always use it for clutch bolts and lug nuts on the golf carts. It's in that "just right" range on the torque.
Usually I don't bother to remove the belts. I pop the clutch off the crankshaft and then take them off before I pull the clutch out of the cart. Wiggle the belts back on and then shove the clutch over the crank when I put it back together. Works good, saves me some time and some backache (and pinched fingers).
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car