lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Robthefishguy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Best Oil Viscosity for 1987 CC 341cc

OK folks, I have been scouring the forum and internet for days looking for the best answer. A downloaded manual from 1990 say either sae 30 or 5w-30 depending on my location / temperatures. A few posts I've read mention using 5w-40, 10w-30, 10w-40, 15w-40. And then the downloaded manual says if you use multi viscosity oil to expect oil consumption... ugh.
I'm in western New York, so according to the manual I have, straight 30 weight is my option, but i somewhat agree with a few posts that recommend updated 15w-40 or others based on new findings in some manuals ( i dont know what manuals they were referencing).

Anyhow, it shouldn't be so difficult, and I'm probably just overthinking this, but i want the best oil in my junker and the proper oil in my junker!

I normally use Mobil1 Synthetic in my machines and trucks, but considering Royal Purple sae 30 #01030 because I can't find 30 in Mobil1. Royal purple rep recommends this or their HPS 10w-30 as offering 'better protection' with no consumption.

What are you running and why? What is best for my old cart?

Thank you for listening to my rant!
Robthefishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Best Oil Viscosity for 1987 CC 341cc

SAE 30 is what I run in all of mine.
For a cold climate you do not want anything XXw-40. Too thick for one of these small engines.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
Robthefishguy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Fairtax, this is what I'm leaning toward. With the limited options for SAE 30 available, do you have any preference in brand or conventional vs synthetic? I dont mind spending a bit more for synthetic if it's good for the cart.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Just get anything that’s on the shelf pretty much.
I’ve been using Wolfs Head brand for quite a few years now. I’ve also used plenty of regular store brand oils.
Just don’t get a Non-detergent oil. There is a difference, and you want the detergent type.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

5w-30, Valvoline VR1. I like this oil because its designed specifically for flat tappet engines. These small engines only take a quart, so spend the extra $2 for a good oil designed to protect these types of engines.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
Robthefishguy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpro56 View Post
5w-30, Valvoline VR1. I like this oil because its designed specifically for flat tappet engines. These small engines only take a quart, so spend the extra $2 for a good oil designed to protect these types of engines.
Hmm... I see they have this in sae 30 and many others. Interesting that I've never heard of this one before and it does specifically state lots of zinc and good for flat tappet... thanks for this, I'll do some reading for sure, and may try it out!
Old 11-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I use Driven Racing HR5 10W40 in my 1987 Club Car with the flathead. Has the zinc in it that you need for these old flat-tappet motors as someone mentioned earlier.

I also use the 90 octane non-ethanol gasoline as well (around here's it's called REC90)

The recommended viscosity motor oils are printed right there on the air intake box (if you still have it).
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car